Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Modernizing the Pacer?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Modernizing the Pacer?

I was originally thinking I'd keep it for awhile and pass it on, but now I'm not sure I'd actually be able to let it go...
    This was our initial approach, too. However, after owning it for 6+ years, it's obvious that it meets our mission and is simple/easy to own. I just can't see moving into anything else unless our mission would drastically change, and that doesn't appear to be on the horizon.

Therefore, it seems to make sense to proceed with some upgrades/investment!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tloes View Post
    Direct replacement for a rear-mounted "round face" gyro: https://aerovonics.com/av-30

Supposedly available with STC in mid-2019.
    Dang-it... *adds to list*

Post Thanks / Like

I do upgrades to my plane because there are no other airplanes on the market that meets my needs better than a Pacer. I like fabric because it's easy to work on, it's light weight, hauls lots, fast enough and slow enough. Most mods I have done don't improve the value significantly but, do improve my plane. When I can't fly anymore and have to sell someone will get a great deal.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kchansen View Post
    Great thread, everyone. Lots of good info.

Now the real question: How do we justify the expense of doing these upgrades to an airplane that's only worth so much on the best day? Don't get me wrong, I don't subscribe to the "not worth it" camp. The airplane is most certainly worth keeping in flying condition, which also means upgrades as necessary/desired.

But we all know the math probably doesn't work on these airplanes (well, many airplanes, really) when you start adding more and more toys. Then again, math isn't always the final deciding factor.

For those of you who have gone before us on these types of projects, what was your thought process?
    If you looked at keeping the old instruments you have now consider doing the "math" for overhauling them in the next five years as compared to the purchase cost of a "modern" instrument that does most of the functions in 5 years. That may push you over.

airspeed overhaul $450.00
    DG overhaul $450.00
    Rate of climb $450.00
    Hori overhaul $670.00
    TSO,d IFR Alt $545.00
    Turn and Bank $440.00
    ovhl Vac Pump $229.00

Total cost of overhauling instruments that are incorporated in one modern instrument $3005.00

Post Thanks / Like

If you looked at keeping the old instruments you have now consider doing the "math" for overhauling them in the next five years as compared to the purchase cost of a "modern" instrument that does most of the functions in 5 years. That may push you over.
    Good point. Sort of an eye-opener...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

With almost 10,000 Tri-Pacers and Colts manufactured vs around 1,000 Pacers I don't think we are going to make the Tri-Pacer extinct. What bugs me most is parting them out. I am like Stephen, what else is going to do what our airplanes do for our investment in time and money? I don't look at as an investment but more as a tool for my mission.

Post Thanks / Like

Like when you buy a house and find that you like parts of it very much and parts of it need changes in order to meet your needs:
    You change the house in ways that you derive enjoyment from it, not necessarily for the additional retail value they may/may not provide on resale.

I do not modify my plane for resale value. I modify my plane to meet my needs/wants.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kchansen View Post
    Great thread, everyone. Lots of good info.

Now the real question: How do we justify the expense of doing these upgrades to an airplane that's only worth so much on the best day? Don't get me wrong, I don't subscribe to the "not worth it" camp. The airplane is most certainly worth keeping in flying condition, which also means upgrades as necessary/desired.

But we all know the math probably doesn't work on these airplanes (well, many airplanes, really) when you start adding more and more toys. Then again, math isn't always the final deciding factor.

For those of you who have gone before us on these types of projects, what was your thought process?
    I don’t justify flying in terms of resale value. I justify it in terms of utility, sanity, and safety. And whenever I need to do work, I try to update/upgrade/renew the parts(s) in question so I don’t have to keep chasing the same issues.

But I don’t do major projects just for the sake of the project...I only take on what is needed. I like flying too much to be grounded too long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Hamon View Post
    I don’t justify flying in terms of resale value. I justify it in terms of utility, sanity, and safety. And whenever I need to do work, I try to update/upgrade/renew the parts(s) in question so I don’t have to keep chasing the same issues.

But I don’t do major projects just for the sake of the project...I only take on what is needed. I like flying too much to be grounded too long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Me too, I work on them every day. I like flying mine on my off day.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto!

I would be thrilled if my tripacer appreciated in value as time goes by
    but it is not my expectation. I have already received the value of my plane
    in enjoyment through flight these years.