Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Climb props on a tri-pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Climb props on a tri-pacer

I've done all the research to re-pitch to a climb prop, and according to the Type Certificate - the PA-22-150 ( My bird is a PA-22-20-150) with the Sensenich 74DM6 propeller - the pitch can be any inch value of change up to 8 inches(Sensenich limit), as long as it meets the Static RPM range of 2250 - 2480 RPM (Type Certificate limits). So, the standard pitch out of the Sensenich factory is 60 inches ( 74DM6 - 0 - 60 ) (and my propeller is stamped as such) - so, I can re-pitch down to 52 legally (-8 inches). But then I'm done, the propeller can no longer be re-pitched - I've re-pitched the total 8 inches allowed. I believe the smart move would be to first re-pitch to 54 inches (6 inches change), allowing for a further re-pitch to 52 or 56 if needed (2 more inches re-pitch allowed & reaching the limit of 8 inches total). Any comments , corrections, agreements, disagreements, etc. ?????? Trying to get the best STOL performance !!
    Last edited by da737retired@gmail.com; 08-07-2020 at 10:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think on a stock Tri-Pacer you would have to keep the 74" dia prop, the 82" prop might get real close to the dirt when the nose strut is fully compressed.

What is the diameter of that Sensenich Ground Adjustable prop, and can it (or has it) be used on a PA22/20-180 with the STC O-360 as well as the 150/160 O-320, either by proposed STC or a Field approval?
    If it were just 74", would it be useable on a stock PA-22, .

Just curious, on a PA-2X Taildragger, does the 82" prop have an effect on the "feel" of the plane in fight, ie, gyroscopic precession that changes the way you maneuver?

Cheers,
    GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just re-pitching the Sensenich 74DM6-0-60

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by da737retired@gmail.com View Post
    I'm just re-pitching the Sensenich 74DM6-0-60
    I purchased a used 74DM-0-50 many years ago and have flown my 22-20-150 a lot with that prop. However I always put the 58 pitch back on for cross country flying due to the fact the engine can easily over rev passed 2700 in level flight. The end result is you cruise slower and burn more fuel. Take off and climb performance is dramatically improved for sure but the downside in cruise isn’t worth it. I think a 50 would be ideal with floats, or pulling banners, but guessing thats not your goal. My suggestion would be to not go lower than 54 with the 150 or 160 HP 22.
    Brian
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Brian !! - Daryl

Post Thanks / Like

When I put the 150 on my Clipper I started with 54”. It had great climb , burned lots of fuel and was slow. Went to 56”. I really could not tell a difference in climb but the fuel flow was less and a little more speed. I then went to the 58”. Less climb but still great, reduced fuel flow and more speed. 58” was best for my mission; get on top of the CU fast and have a decent cruise. When I converted the 150 to 160 I saw a big improvement in climb keeping my 58” prop. I was surprised the difference 10 horse power made.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the specific info - Daryl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I purchased a used 74DM-0-50 many years ago and have flown my 22-20-150 a lot with that prop. However I always put the 58 pitch back on for cross country flying due to the fact the engine can easily over rev passed 2700 in level flight. The end result is you cruise slower and burn more fuel. Take off and climb performance is dramatically improved for sure but the downside in cruise isn’t worth it. I think a 50 would be ideal with floats, or pulling banners, but guessing thats not your goal. My suggestion would be to not go lower than 54 with the 150 or 160 HP 22.
    Brian
    I agree. I have a 74-50 on my pa20 150 so I can get in and out of my dads. It’s slow but things have to be right in order to get out of dads with my 58. I only get about 110 mph pushing it hard.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have a good 74DM6-54 for sale ?????

Post Thanks / Like

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/avo...170528257.html

cheap enough to give you something to play with and still have your original prop.

or start with a cheap 60
    https://anchorage.craigslist.org/avo...164013296.html