Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changing Landing Light?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Changing Landing Light?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Landreth View Post
    Then this is a case where the user needs to look up the bulb to see that it is listed as having a PMA. Again, per the FAA Order what to do to determine whether a PMA is specified, so I guess I don't understand what is the issue with these two bulbs. If the Grimes is PMA, then this is simply an example of one is marked and one isn't ? ? ?
    If I have a Grimes light fixture with a Grimes bulb the bulb is OEM so it should not need a PMA, at least that is what I've been told about OEM vs PMA parts. What am I missing?
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    If I have a Grimes light fixture with a Grimes bulb the bulb is OEM so it should not need a PMA, at least that is what I've been told about OEM vs PMA parts. What am I missing?
    You aren't missing anything. Your statement is correct, you just kind of vectored this subject off in a different direction than the previous verbosity was into. We should probably leave it here and not go there. Tossing the OEM factor into our previous discussion can be pretty variable and verbose in and of itself. Actually, in one of your previous posts you asked a question that sort of faded into this subject, but I never got back into answering it. (I have IA recurrency and CFII renewal and BFR all due next month so I am approaching critical mass for brain power.)

Post Thanks / Like

You could stay a Motel 6. They will leave the light on for you.

Allycat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Allycat View Post
    You could stay a Motel 6. They will leave the light on for you.

Allycat
    Mr. Allycat: You are confusing this site with Twitter and Facebook where people who have nothing but smartass comments to contribute to a subject make postings. This site is to discuss and help people with their aircraft issues. If this is all you have to contribute I suggest that you delete this post here and move it over to Twitter or Facebook where these type comments seem to be relatively popular. On this site, it contributes nothing, and in reality, in and of itself it is totally senseless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Homer, take a step back and smell the roses. Some times a little fun banter is helpful.
    It is a very grey area with wording and then the nav light is pretty much spelled out.

Post Thanks / Like

So if a landing light is required to be PMA'd, I'm curious what criteria the approval process would be evaluating the light against, since the CAR 3 requirement is pretty general and I doubt there's a landing light TSO. I guess they would just energize it and see if it catches fire (and I'm sure this process would cost, mm, six figures? ;-) ... ).

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Landreth View Post
    I am sure they are not PMA parts at the Tractor Supply Store.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Iriarte View Post
    So if a landing light is required to be PMA'd, I'm curious what criteria the approval process would be evaluating the light against, since the CAR 3 requirement is pretty general and I doubt there's a landing light TSO. I guess they would just energize it and see if it catches fire (and I'm sure this process would cost, mm, six figures? ;-) ... ).

Chris
    There are actually two TSO's (C96a and C30c)for anti colision lights and for position lights, and Whelen owns two PMA's for LED landing lights. You can look up the requirements for these certifications on the FAA WEB site. I still don't understand why there is contention that the CAR 3 requirements are "General" or "Vague". The look pretty specific to me. If I read a requirement and can develop a test to meet, on a pass/fail basis, that requirement, that is specific enough for me.
    Another CAR 3 issue that kind of defeats the idea that all we need to meet is CAR 3 standards; PA22 equipment list shows the plane is certified to a TC with the listed equipment and there is a Narco MK12 radio on the equipment list. MK12 Radios are illegal to use because of not meeting frequency stability requirements. So, somewhere in time or print, there has to be a documentation with the famous "Unless Approved by the Administrator" type statement that clobbers CAR3 to not being the winner in a dispute over current requirements due to technology improvements.

Post Thanks / Like

"It depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is." Bill Clinton.

Lots of the vague language is up to interpretation, just like any FSDO who has one answer while another has a completely different one.

Post Thanks / Like

It is threads like this that make me lose the enthusiasm for going to the airport!
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

I walk the Antique classic sections at SnF and OSH. I see lots and lots of non-certified nav and landing lights. I don't worry about it.
    The local PMI 's here know nothing about GA in my opinion. I try to keep out of any inter-action with them. As long as they recertify my IA every two years I just don't interact with them.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 02-24-2017 at 01:58 PM.