Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Restoring a TriPacer in Italy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Restoring a TriPacer in Italy

I had the same issue when doing my Vagabond fuselage recover.
    Spraying Randolph enamel was tricky for me. Some areas of my cowlings are perfect with no orange peel. Other areas have some.
    Fortunately it isn't really that visible unless you get up really close.
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

Today we weighed the I-ARME:

545 kg, ready to fly, with oil, with radio, xponder, intercom, without fuel. I think there are about 10/15 kg of interior panels. Anyway...Not bad!

Post Thanks / Like

That translates to 1,199 lbs. which is not bad including the oil.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, not bad.

I haven't an "IFR" panel, very simple, on left side airspeed, vario, altimeter, turn indicator, compass and the nice 8 days clock.
    Right side Rpm, map, oil temp/pressure, 2 fuel level, egt, cht.
    In the middle Trig 833, Bendix Xponder and intercom.
    Garmin aera 660 inside the left yoke.

Now I must check weight and balance, I have 174 kg on the nose and 371 on the main.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally I had the Permit to Fly from ENAC and I flew the Tripacer!!
    Very happy!!
    I did only some pattern, just to understand if everything works fine.
    I noted with 58" prop is very quick in take off, 2 on board and around 3/4 fuel, climb a 70 mph at 1000 ft/min !!! I cannot give a lot of numbers because I think that my tachometer isn't correct... I will test ASAP.

I- ARME needs some more rudder than I used to. I must learn to menage correctly adverse yaw...
    It doesn't really stall, probably 2 on board is too heavy in front?? I red something about put a ballast in baggage area....

Probably for the same reason It hasn't enough elevator authority in the flare.

Any suggestion?

Anyway, very very happy for the result!!

Thank you.

Alex.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Alex, I'll bet that felt pretty good to finally get your project up there in the sky! One of the first things I did was go up high and try a power on stall. It felt like I was lying down in bed and it would not stall but it sunk like a rock..something you would not notice if you were not looking at your instruments. First flight I did not have my rudder interconnect springs tightened up and it really felt squirrely (is that a word in Italy..haha) But I notice that I do not have to add as much rudder as I am used to with my new Tri-pacer. I am also new to these planes.
    Squirrely is not a word here either according to my spell check.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Restoring a TriPacer in Italy

Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    Hey Alex, I'll bet that felt pretty good to finally get your project up there in the sky! One of the first things I did was go up high and try a power on stall. It felt like I was lying down in bed and it would not stall but it sunk like a rock..something you would not notice if you were not looking at your instruments. First flight I did not have my rudder interconnect springs tightened up and it really felt squirrely (is that a word in Italy..haha) But I notice that I do not have to add as much rudder as I am used to with my new Tri-pacer. I am also new to these planes.
    Squirrely is not a word here either according to my spell check.
    Squirrely is perfect!!!

I mean “it doesn’t really stall” because I cannot feel the buffeting like I’m used to.
    Of course, at around 50 mph the descent rate is high. But, in my opinion, not like a rock, as the Pacer is famous.
    Ok, isn’t a glider, and isn’t a 172.

I haven’t aileron and rudder interconnected, I don’t like. I prefer understand how fly it “stick and rudder”

Thank you for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I exaggerated with the rock comment and I believe everyone else does too when they talk about these short wings. I feel the same way you do about not having the interconnect but I read the story behind the reasoning. When they moved the tailwheel to the front of the plane it would not pass the test for spin recovery therefore it could not pass airworthiness. The interconnect added the flight stability it needed. I know that on my first flight I was a little shooken up because of the limited space I gave myself on takeoff and with my home being so close to the field I took off from it required some tight maneuvering to buzz my woman. It was then that I felt that without the interconnect it seemed too squirrley. Not sure if it was my shot nerves or..?? First thing I did before my next flight was to hook it back up. I am pretty relaxed flying around (that morning being an exception) but I kinda like it hooked up. I hooked it up loosely because I like to feel the plane like you do but I like to feel safe. If that's what it took to be certified then that's for me too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    I exaggerated with the rock comment and I believe everyone else does too when they talk about these short wings. I feel the same way you do about not having the interconnect but I read the story behind the reasoning. When they moved the tailwheel to the front of the plane it would not pass the test for spin recovery therefore it could not pass airworthiness. The interconnect added the flight stability it needed. I know that on my first flight I was a little shooken up because of the limited space I gave myself on takeoff and with my home being so close to the field I took off from it required some tight maneuvering to buzz my woman. It was then that I felt that without the interconnect it seemed too squirrley. Not sure if it was my shot nerves or..?? First thing I did before my next flight was to hook it back up. I am pretty relaxed flying around (that morning being an exception) but I kinda like it hooked up. I hooked it up loosely because I like to feel the plane like you do but I like to feel safe. If that's what it took to be certified then that's for me too.
    I understand.

Let me say that, in my personal opinion, TriPacer is a safe aircraft, with or without interconnection.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Not with me flying! Ha-ha. Just kidding.
    I also have heard the ballast story when having a passenger up front with you. Would you put the ballast in before so he does not see you doing it? I suppose if he were a little overweight he may think you only did this to make him feel bad. It would be, put up with the way it fly's, put up with? or make him ride in the back! Kiddin around again. I took my woman flying and did not notice it to be any different than any other plane with someone up front. I really over use the trim wheel on the ceiling especially on final approach so maybe that helps me forget about that fat ass next to me.