Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Harness Installation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Shoulder Harness Installation

Good stuff, think I'll thread a piece of twine thru the headliner to look at the should strap location before I buy anything... Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

You should be able to locate it by gently pushing up on the headliner. The spar carry-thru is just above the front seat back and an inch or less above the headliner. If it has a separate cloth head liner there is normally a zipper there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by av8ing View Post
    I'm about to install the shoulder harnesses from Wag Aero for the front seats. Has anybody done this that could pass along any tips to make it easier? It looks pretty difficult to get behind the headliner.
    My Clipper has the Wag Aero shoulder harnesses. They are very uncomfortable. At some point I am going to replace them. I would recommend the Hooker Harness or another option if there any others. My two cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Can’t say from experience, but reports are the Y harness rubs the back of your neck. The H harness eliminates that issue. Gilbert has the Hooker H harness ifI remember correctly, please chime in.

I’m going with the Hooker H harness on mine. Upper structure is beefed up with X brace, and another tube from the center of the X back to the center of the rear spar carry through. Just need to figure how to eliminate chaffing of the harness on the sheet metal support for the sky light. I’m thinking making a couple guides out of 3/32 welding rods tacked in place to hold the harness in place where they loop around the carry through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas F View Post
    My Clipper has the Wag Aero shoulder harnesses. They are very uncomfortable. At some point I am going to replace them. I would recommend the Hooker Harness or another option if there any others. My two cents.
    This is what I use, makes the neck rubbing a non issue.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...elt+pads&pos=2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas F View Post
    I have Hooker H harness. Very comfortable. I removed Y harness as it was uncomfortable, rubbed my neck.

Post Thanks / Like

I just read all 26 pages of this thread. Lots of great info here, but I still would like to know if anyone here has successfully installed shoulder harnesses in the rear seats? I saw one post (#202) that showed hard points installed on one Tri Pacer airframe, but no one else chimed in. Has anybody successfully done this, and can you provide pics and details? I have three kids and would like them to have shoulder harnesses in the back seats. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have not installed shoulder harnesses in the back seat but if I were I would attach them to the streamline tube that the rear seat sling attaches to. Strong enough to support the seat and high enough it won't compress their spline. Simple wrap around the tube makes it an easy install.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shoulder Harness Installation

The only aircraft I set up for rear harnesses was Travis Alexander’s PA-22/20… On that airplane I took some 1 inch wide steel “strap”, wrapped it around the rearmost streamline tube and bolted it together where it pinched at the front.. one end is kept long to go through the headliner so they could have a couple of Tri/bars bolted to them for the harness to attach too…

I found some pictures here..

Here are the straps bolted in.. note the front of the straps stop at the back of the headliner just ahead of the rear bow..

And this is with Tri-bars bolted on the inside.. I never installed the harness straps to these.. Travis took delivery of the finished airplane at this point and flew it back to Carolina at the time.. He now resides in Texas and Steve Pierce is his A&P now..

Brian
    Last edited by stevesaircraft(Bri); 03-12-2022 at 12:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was able to weld on 1" wide 4130 straps during the rebuild, but kept them shorter so they were behind the aft wall of the hat rack. I made up 2 lengths of 1/8" control cable that shackled to the welded bracket, passed through a small trimmed hole in the wall then attached the other end to the Y shoulder strap fitting with another shackle. Takes up minimum space.