Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Stewart Wingtip Install/ wing overhaul.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stewart Wingtip Install/ wing overhaul.

Jason, are that 26" tires? They may also limit your ability to three point. You need to come in very slow with the nose up very high in order to get the tail down.

Congratulations on getting your airplane done. Looks great, must feel great to fly a better than new Pacer.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

They're 31's and now that you mention it I do remember when i put them on I had troubles 3 pointing.
    When I come in and try to flare, the nose doesnt really come up, just wheel lands in a tail low. Could very well be me, haven't flown this plane since before Thanksgiving. If I cant figure it out might try tying a weight to the tailspring.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

It also helps if you put gap seals on the tail. I have seals on the horizontal and vertical tail to increase control authority. I have heard people have a hard time getting their PA-22(/20) into a full stall. Mine will go into full stall, no problem. Here is a link to a video of my Pacer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OktsmuHiWKM. Frank Sperando was kind enough to let me copy his gap seals and I got them signed off on a 337 using his 337 as a sample. I made these seals in 2002.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    It also helps if you put gap seals on the tail. I have seals on the horizontal and vertical tail to increase control authority. I have heard people have a hard time getting their PA-22(/20) into a full stall. Mine will go into full stall, no problem. Here is a link to a video of my Pacer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OktsmuHiWKM. Frank Sperando was kind enough to let me copy his gap seals and I got them signed off on a 337 using his 337 as a sample. I made these seals in 2002.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Cub Crafters sells this rubber gap seal that slips in and out very easily. Works well on my Super Cub. I would call it minor mod. Maule has a clear tape there.
    http://store.cubcrafters.com/Foam-Ga...ft_p_1899.html

Post Thanks / Like

Some pictures of it all together. 20200507_081555.jpeg20200507_081701.jpeg20200507_081625.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Great job, that looks amazing!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks real nice! Love the lights added to the opposite wing. Did you add a strobe or wig-wag function to them?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Micropulse landing light switch gives you a bunch of options. Landing, taxi, both, both blinking at 44 ppm (pulses per minute), alternate at 44 ppm, alternate at 88 ppm, or alternate at 120 ppm.
    Switch can handle 8 amps per channel. So with the LED's it's no problem. With incandescent bulbs it would only handle one bulb per channel.

Post Thanks / Like

A little pirep from my experience so far.
    When coming into land during the flare the plane used to just kind of mush through and plop into a three point. Now if I try to land it that way it will actually balloon slightly. So I come in slower and lose elevator authority. To remedy this I installed gap seals from cub crafters. They help on the landing but I need to work on technique. Where I really noticed the gap seals is on take off. Full forward on the controls and as soon as the plane starts moving the tail comes up.
    With me and half fuel the plane gets off the ground about 35-38 mph indicated. That's a solid 5-8 mph less than before the vg's and wingtips. I give most of that credit to the vg's.
    Haven't had a chance to do stalls yet. Tires showed up today, so later this week I'll get those on and go do some stalls. 20200515_125928.jpeg20200517_120919.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That’s inspiring! I’m new here, have been lurking a long time. Bought a 1960 PA-22/20-150 with VGs, and my first mod has been 8.50 tires. Looking forward to the Stewart mod for next year, but in the meantime I just need to practice getting everything I can out of her now. Awesome to see your quick progress. Hoping mine goes real swift too!

John
    Last edited by Armstrong; 07-01-2020 at 04:27 PM.