Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: O-320 Propeller indexing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: O-320 Propeller indexing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wag-builder View Post

That takes me to 'page not found'!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wag-builder View Post
    Step F just says locate prop based on what the manufacturer says. Doesn’t say what to do when there isn’t anything in the manufacturers manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=dgapilot;128561]Step F just says locate prop based on what the manufacturer says. Doesn’t say what to do when there isn’t anything in the manufacturers manual.

I've searched the current Sensenich website, and the only reference I can find refers to Experimental. I can't find the reference you mention, so can you point me to it? The reference above takes me to 'page not found' as I've said. A current statement from Sensenich can go with the aircraft records, but so far all I have is the email I received from Sensenich saying what they recommend, which satisfies me personally. A statement in some form from their website would be better.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=59pacer;128574]
    Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Step F just says locate prop based on what the manufacturer says. Doesn’t say what to do when there isn’t anything in the manufacturers manual.

I've searched the current Sensenich website, and the only reference I can find refers to Experimental. I can't find the reference you mention, so can you point me to it? The reference above takes me to 'page not found' as I've said. A current statement from Sensenich can go with the aircraft records, but so far all I have is the email I received from Sensenich saying what they recommend, which satisfies me personally. A statement in some form from their website would be better.
    The propeller installation ICA is the responsibility of the aircraft manufacturer, not the prop manufacturer. Sensenich or McCauley have no idea of airframe/engine/propeller harmonics. They do evaluate propeller/engine harmonics, but that’s it. That said, under Car 3, there was no requirement to provide any maintenance data, and the general information provided in CAM 18 (the predecessor of AC43.13-1) was considered sufficient to maintain these airplanes. Unfortunately, the lack of basic education for the A&P mechanics that have been turned out over the last 20-30 years has left us with a lack of ability to maintain these simple basic airplanes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=dgapilot;128577][QUOTE=59pacer;128574]

The propeller installation ICA is the responsibility of the aircraft manufacturer, not the prop manufacturer. Sensenich or McCauley have no idea of airframe/engine/propeller harmonics. They do evaluate propeller/engine harmonics, but that’s it. That said, under Car 3, there was no requirement to provide any maintenance data, and the general information provided in CAM 18 (the predecessor of AC43.13-1) was considered sufficient to maintain these airplanes. Unfortunately, the lack of basic education for the A&P mechanics that have been turned out over the last 20-30 years has left us with a lack of ability to maintain these simple basic airplanes.

I agree with all that, thanks. There's a lot of opinions out there posing as facts, but in fact, as you say, there's no facts, only opinions, so I go back to basic principles.
    Set it at 11 o'clock and try it out. Swap it 180 degrees and do it again. Pick the least vibration.
    For all the time I've had the aircraft, it's had a vibration I couldn't eradicate by changing the prop indexing.
    The engine rebuilder told me yesterday that the #2 conrod was 1+ ounce heavier than the others. That might do it!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t know the Lycoming limits but 28+ grams seems HUGE to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
    I don’t know the Lycoming limits but 28+ grams seems HUGE to me.
    Actually it was closer to 35 grams. The tech said he thought his scales had failed, so checked those, too!
    I now have a set that are all within 4 grams. IIRC, he said Lycoming say something like 8 (?) grams was OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Looked around today to see if there was anything Lycoming had published on weights, but only found stuff about markings with letters for identifying pistons and connecting rods that could be used together. https://www.lycoming.com/content/rep...ods-or-pistons

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

"The engine rebuilder told me yesterday that the #2 conrod was 1+ ounce heavier than the others. That might do it!!"

Ah! That sounds like what I'm dealing with. Soon my O-320 will be on its way to Halifax for a tear-down. That's exactly what we suspect will be found.