Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: O-320 Propeller indexing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: O-320 Propeller indexing

I spoke to the engine builder about the allowable weight range. He recalls, and has always used, 7 gms (0.25 oz), but couldn't find the reference quickly. He was 'flat out like a lizard drinking' at the time, so I didn't like to push the point at the time. An answer might pop into his brain at 2am--that's when it happens for me.
    I found this reference that may be of interest:https://www.flight-mechanic.com/dime...ion-part-five/

Post Thanks / Like

Out of curiosity I checked the small Continental engine manual. They allow a half ounce on the rod and a half ounce on the pin in opposing cylinders. If maxed out, that is 1 ounce between the sides and would make for a shaky engine. Perfectly legal according to the overhaul manual but I wouldn’t want to fly behind it. The person who walked me through my first overhaul insisted everything be within 4 grams. His engines were much better to fly behind than any factory overhaul or reman.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer 24C View Post
    I have been extensively involved with props and prop balancing - with fair consistency on the 4 cylinder lycomings the culprit is not the engine or the prop - but the flywheel. We first static balance the flywheel - then install a static balanced prop - run the DynaVibe and then flip it end for end and run again - it will always show better one end or the other - then add weight as needed - even with excellent balance of .02 IPS - a 4 cylinder is still a 4 cylinder - you can always tell it is running.
    What did you use to static balance the flywheel? I found a wheel shop that still had a bubble type static balancer gathering dust. After cleaning it up and oiling it, the best I could get was that the flywheel needed a couple of grams--about a #10 machine screw and nut in the appropriate 1/4" hole near the starter ring. How can I get it more accurate?