Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oleo strut serviicing

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Oleo strut serviicing

Hi All

Need.my education advanced.....
    What is the proper procedure for servicing the front oleo?seals are good but how much fluid is to be added etc
    Have access to nitrogen and know about the 3 inch mearurement

Thanks all

Shane-0

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oleo strut serviicing

Strut should be FULL of fluid when fully compressed.

Then add nitro to 3".

I like to service most struts by:

Lower Tail & secure

Remove Strut Valve CORE.

Connect hose or tubing to Valve Core Stem.

Other end of tubing to a can/jar of 5606.

When Lower Strut is pulled down it will suck

fluid from can.

When completely pushed up air will be expelled & bubble in jar.

As air is expelled it will progressively get "stiffer".

Finally push all the way up & then pull back 1/4 inch.

Remove tube from jar or Strut.

Reinstall Valve Core & service with Nitro. to 3"

Bogert Makes a nice kit that allows you to do this w/o

removing the core.

Not really worth it for 1 aircraft though.

A small amount of Granville Strut Seal added

to the 5606 seems to make the O-rings seal better/longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice instructions, I always forget to have the tubing and jar handy.

Here's what I started before lunch, when I returned from lunched and finished it I saw the post from P.o.P.
    Here it is anyway.

GG

-------------------------------------------

Prepare to get messy!
    You will need a way of tying the tail down, either ~150 pounds of lead (that's what I use, it was X-Ray shielding from a discarded Electron Microscope) or an eyebolt in the ground or floor. You can also get a few friends to help but that's a lot of holding for them and you will be under the nose so a secure tie down point, a ratcheting strap and chain with strong S-hooks or carabineers is safer/better.
    Assuming you have removed the front cowling and have access to the nose strut valve assembly, here's how I do it (possibly you have done some of this already.)
    1) Pull tail down enough to lift nose tire slightly off floor, secure with safety chain.
    2) Release the pressure in the strut via the Schrader valve on top of strut.
    3) Remove or open the valve assembly (refer to Piper drawing to understand how it is installed.)
    4) Put a rag over the open hole on top of strut, and wrap another around it, to avoid blowing hydro fluid onto the area above the strut. Then slowly let the nose sit all the way down, fully compressing the strut.
    5) Fill the strut completely with red hydraulic fluid. Now slowly pump the tail down and up about ten times, this will pump the fluid past the piston and fill the lower part of the strut.
    6) Lower the nose, add fluid to the strut, and slowly pump it up and down again several times. Repeat until you can no longer add fluid because the compressed strut is full.
    7) Pull the tail down to fully extend the nose strut. Reinstall the Schrader valve assembly, ensuring a tight seal, and lock wire it. Refer to the Piper drawing for details.
    8 ) Fill the EXTENDED strut with air or N2 to about 130-135 psi. Let the tail up and try to pump the nose gear down and up. Some say not to use the propeller roots as a pumping handle, so if that's a concern you can try pushing from below the tail tiedown skid. Pretty sure its been pulled and pumped safely by the prop for 50+ years...
    You should see 3.5 - 4.0" of the exposed chrome of the strut, about four fingers is a good estimate. If it's way too much chrome showing, pull the tail down to take the load off the strut and blip the Schrader valve a tiny bit to let off a few PSI. It's easier to release pressure than to inflate it, so do this in small bites until you are about four fingers showing. If its just a wee bit too full, let it ride for a few flights and see if it changes.
    9) Clean up your mess, then button up the cowling etc and go flying. I always apply a squirt of hydraulic fluid to the strut, using an oil squirt can kept in the baggage area tool kit, and wipe it around using my fingers. This helps keep the outer wiper/seal wet and clean, protecting the inner seal from dirt etc. I went over ten years before rebuilding my strut seals!

Cheers,
    GG
    Last edited by Glen Geller; 03-09-2015 at 06:27 PM.
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Remember that this is a good time to take a good look at the torque link bolts and bushings as well as the shimmy damper attach hardware and fluid. Darn near makes a day of it by the time the cawl is back on and ready to make noise but that feel good feeling of having her all tight under there is really nice. Good time to do the nose wheel bearings seeing as you have her off the ground...

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all!!

Have airplane in about 100 pieces right now. repainted the firewall, engine mount and nose gear and all assorted pieces. all new hardware and repacked the front wheel bearings...
    was unsure of how much 5606 fluid went in.....
    you guys are the best

Shane-o

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gliderman View Post
    Thank you all!!

Have airplane in about 100 pieces right now. repainted the firewall, engine mount and nose gear and all assorted pieces. all new hardware and repacked the front wheel bearings...
    was unsure of how much 5606 fluid went in.....
    you guys are the best

Shane-o
    I wish my project plane was only in a hundred pieces. Not kidding.
    Jim Kirkendall "Knowledge is good."

Post Thanks / Like

Jim
    been 18 months and Finally putting things back together. Wings and fuse are recovered. panel is next on the agenda......

hang in there

Shane-o

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tri-Pacer nose oleo

Hi Guys,
    The nose oleo is sagging a little and I was going to have a look at the pressure in it.
    What is the recommended pressure.
    What sort of valve is on the top of the strut? (schrader?)
    Which side is easiest to access it to check/pump it up?
    Any requirement for special tools?
    TIA
    Martin
    G-BMCS
    UK

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tri-Pacer nose oleo

It is like a Shrader but you don't have to turn it to get air in it. You can get an air chuck on it but is a chore. I prefer nitrogen and the twist on filler. Pain but doable. The Owners Handbook shows 3.5 inches of chrome should be showing. It also has a section on both servicing and rebuilding the nose gear oleo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Merged your tread with another on the subject.