Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flyties or The Claw?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flyties or The Claw?

I’m heading out to camp in the desert this weekend. Wanna have some way to tie down the plane. So should I get Flyties or The Claw?

Spruce has them both in stock, I will pickup today. Unfortunately they do not have a Stormforce in stock, so it’s out of the running.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Flyties or The Claw?

Aviation consumer rated the Claw best in their test https://www.aviationconsumer.com/acc...is-a-top-pick/ But that was Waaay back in 2009.

Another article about the sun-n-Fun tornado https://www.aviationconsumer.com/acc...t-what-worked/

Unless you want to make a heavy duty rebar based unit that could weigh 30lbs I would go with the claw.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the claw for years and I like it. I cut weight using hallow aluminum pegs and carry only two claws. Some people drill out holes in the webbing of the claws. I also carry a couple of aluminum duck bill anchors. I've removed the steel cable that it came with and replaced them with heavy nylon cord. The duck bills are abandoned in the ground and I cut off the nylon cord below ground. The duck bills are driven into the ground 18 inches, I carry a small light weight hatchet and steel rod. The rod doubles for a stake for the tail. The duck bills are only used in very strong winds. Unlike Cubs Pacer tails are heavy on the ground.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

My flyties kept me anchored during the Sun n Fun tornado.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I read all the reviews and watched all the vids. Was hoping for a consensus based on real world experience.

After talking to some locals as well, it seems to be an even split between the claw and Flyties.

Post Thanks / Like

Duckbills are the gold standard. DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Moto,

I am a fan of The Claw. Survived the big Wednesday storm at OshKosh this year. Tripacer didn't move an inch. I would also recommend the AirGizmos Universal Gust Lock while you're at it.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grbamford View Post
    Moto,

I am a fan of The Claw. Survived the big Wednesday storm at OshKosh this year. Tripacer didn't move an inch. I would also recommend the AirGizmos Universal Gust Lock while you're at it.

Greg
    Good point about control locks. I'm a cheapskate and use pad lock from AC Spruce but, Airgizmo looks better.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I have the claw and they work fine. But you must read the instructions, or they will not work as demonstrated at Sun-N-Fun. Do not install them at an angle or they will pull out of the ground and your plane will be at the mercy of mother nature. They are designed to be directly below the tiedown point of your plane. Then when the plane pulls against it, it digs in harder and does not pull out.

As Gilbert said the Flyties work just as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies. I picked up a set of Flyties this evening. I like to keep things simple.

I’m going to pick up some duck bills in the near future to have for real bad situations. But I’d rather not be filling up the ground at camping spots with them if it’s not necessary.

I do have a set of 3 gust locks. Bought them from a guy that used to post here or on the other short wing forum. The plastic they’re made from isn’t very good, but they get the job done. I have strap that goes around the yoke pulls it full forward and snaps to the dash so the elevator doesn’t get beat up in a blow from behind.

Departing first thing in the AM. Lunch in Independence, camping at Minietta and a few other strips in between.

092C1916-B0BC-4C84-A832-FA6B0CF3A6AA.jpg