Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 63 of 69 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Related to ADS-B... I've been looking at getting a new Dual GPS/ADS-B "In" receiver for the aircraft to work with my iPad EFB. (I use FlyQ, for what it's worth.)

However, on the product page for the Dual XGPS170D at Sporty's it states:

(*ADS–B traffic broadcasts are only transmitted from the ground transmitters in response to an ADS-B Out transponder operating on your aircraft or another aircraft in the area.)
    I'm currently equipped using the GDL-82 on my Pacer for "out" functionality, but not sure what this means. Will I not be able to get ADS-B traffic on my iPad? Maybe I'm just confusing myself... (not the first time today!)

Post Thanks / Like

As I understand it, if you are transmitting OUT that will trigger the ground stations to transmit IN. That statement from Sporty's is basically saying if you ONLY have an IN receiver (and NOT broadcasting OUT) then the ground station will not know that you are there and therefore will not bother broadcasting anything.

It's almost like a sonar 'Ping' type response.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

If you are broadcasting out and have dual in capability, then you should receive a very complete traffic picture of what is around you.
    There are a variety of ways that traffic is limited in visability, but what you described should provide all the traffic.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don’t have OUT you will only receive traffic on the IN receiver if someone close by with OUT triggers the ground station. The only way to get a COMPLETE traffic picture is to have OUT. You still won’t see aircraft that do not have transponders. That’s what windows are for.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the tailbeacon has been TSO 'd and will be shipping in a few weeks.

I wouldn't put it on a shortwing rudder but those ce$$*@ planes might be good candidates, cher0Kees too

Post Thanks / Like

Back up flying after extensive annual and brand new ADS-B installation. Went with Appareo Stratus ESG (1090 ES plus WAAS GPS in) unit. We ran through suggested maneuvers (N-S-E-W, ascending, descending, slow flight) near and directly over the ADS-B ground antenna and submitted and received my emailed report. I had a red box in one area: "Air on Ground". Percent fail: 0.54%. Comments section says: "Recipients of Performance Reports flagged red for Air-on-Ground issues are advised to contact their repair shop and/or avionics manufacture(s) for guidance on appropriate corrective action." Anybody know if this is just a simple horizon obscuration issue from the ADS-P ground antenna to my location while taxiing on the ground? My airport (KTIX - Titusville) is about a dozen or so miles from ADS-B antenna to the south-west from the airport. Will this keep my ADS-B out from being "accepted" by the FAA? My ground test and certification with the RF hat located over the ventral antenna blade passed all tests. Have my signed certificate and sticker. Just wondering if others have dealt with "Air-on-Ground" failures. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

As I understand it, this is an indication that your ads-b system is transmitting in "air" mode while on the ground.
    I believe it will keep your ads-b out system from being acceptable. I believe you need NO RED boxes on your report.

Did you do the pars report from FAA to qualify for rebate or per an instruction from your installer?
    Last edited by Old3pacer; 07-13-2019 at 07:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    If you don’t have OUT you will only receive traffic on the IN receiver if someone close by with OUT triggers the ground station. The only way to get a COMPLETE traffic picture is to have OUT. You still won’t see aircraft that do not have transponders. That’s what windows are for.
    What do y'all think of installing the tailbeacon in a different spot...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTailwheel View Post
    I wondered about this too, mentioned earlier in this thread I think. I was thinking facing aft in the beacon mount atop the rudder. It would be ugly, but...
    The general consensus was the TailBeacon must be oriented in a particular vertical orientation (little fin up, big fin down) with unobstructed view of the world (not inside a Cessna fuselage for example.) Would mounting inside the aft fuselage, surrounded by metal tube structure and aluminum painted fabric of a PA22 be OK? It's probably not approved for that position.
    Also the LED function would cause interior of the plane to glow, setting off the UFO nutters who see you at night.

GG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTailwheel View Post
    I wondered about this too, mentioned earlier in this thread I think. I was thinking facing aft in the beacon mount atop the rudder. It would be ugly, but...
    The general consensus was the TailBeacon must be oriented in a particular vertical orientation (little fin up, big fin down) with unobstructed view of the world (not inside a Cessna fuselage for example.) Would mounting inside the aft fuselage, surrounded by metal tube structure and aluminum painted fabric of a PA22 be OK? It's probably not approved for that position.
    Also the LED function would cause interior of the plane to glow, setting off the UFO nutters who see you at night.

GG