Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Just picked up the plane that was in the shop for GPS/ADS B In/Out upgrade. Flew a bit and called Center and asked if they were ADS B Capable and if so could we get a verification of
    our transmission. They said sure they could. but it would be 10 minutes or so because they had to turn it on first. 2020 may not be as close as we think.

Also, I wonder how many of you got a smile about the griping of Amazon about them not getting any immediate response from the FAA on Amazons requests for rules and regulations for their drone delivery system.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Landreth View Post

I wonder how many of you got a smile about the griping of Amazon about them not getting any immediate response from the FAA on Amazons requests for rules and regulations for their drone delivery system.

Smile! I got a rip roaring belly laugh.

Post Thanks / Like

Usually the FAA sets a "must have" date and then when it arrives the commercial operators say they cannot compy in time and it gets extended. So you may want to wait and watch the progress in hopes that the prices will go down as the first date approaches.
    As the EAA builders have found out, buy your electronics the "day before" your plane is ready to fly since the continuing changes to electronics make last year's electronics outdated very quickly.
    Last edited by Phil P; 03-29-2015 at 11:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Received a post card from the mfg of the Stratus. This fall they will have an ADS-B out/WASS/1090 transponder. No price? Now if it has the artificial horizon/ADS-B in and weather....wireless to the iPad glass panel.....And'll give a trade in allowance for the stratus 2... Maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    Received a post card from the mfg of the Stratus. This fall they will have an ADS-B out/WASS/1090 transponder. No price? Now if it has the artificial horizon/ADS-B in and weather....wireless to the iPad glass panel.....And'll give a trade in allowance for the stratus 2... Maybe?
    It works with the stratus 2. The stratus 2 plugs into it and provides the link to your iPad and the ADS-B in. The new device is a transponder that provides external power to the stratus 2 as well as GPS information from the external GPS antenna.

I'm hoping it is a decent price, and they have some sort of docking solution that will make it easy to hide the stratus 2 under/behind the panel so that you can leave it in the plane and not worry about it walking off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Landreth View Post
    Just picked up the plane that was in the shop for GPS/ADS B In/Out upgrade. Flew a bit and called Center and asked if they were ADS B Capable and if so could we get a verification of
    our transmission. They said sure they could. but it would be 10 minutes or so because they had to turn it on first. 2020 may not be as close as we think.

Also, I wonder how many of you got a smile about the griping of Amazon about them not getting any immediate response from the FAA on Amazons requests for rules and regulations for their drone delivery system.

Yes we are headed towards the deadline.....BUT, I think I am going to wait until the last min, because by then a manufacture will have put the necessary research and development into a less expensive solution, and they will control market share.....if you think about it there is no reason to take that approach yet.

LP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
    Usually the FAA sets a "must have" date and then when it arrives the commercial operators say they cannot compy in time and it gets extended. So you may want to wait and watch the progress in hopes that the prices will go down as the first date approaches.
    As the EAA builders have found out, buy your electronics the "day before" your plane is ready to fly since the continuing changes to electronics make last year's electronics outdated very quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleavn View Post
    Yes we are headed towards the deadline.....BUT, I think I am going to wait until the last min, because by then a manufacture will have put the necessary research and development into a less expensive solution, and they will control market share.....if you think about it there is no reason to take that approach yet.

LP
    What if the FAA is the only one who isn't ready? I believe our Boeings and Airbuses already have the "out" function, easily done when you have racks and remote boxes. I say this because we now have more reasons that the TXP fail light will come on but it still appears to work normally.

I am also waiting, I am a cheap airline pilot!

Jim
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw this on General Aviation news.
    I wonder if we should go ahead and order early. The price seems reasonable.
    http://generalaviationnews.com/2015/...20/#more-93355
    Last edited by Theo; 04-01-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    Just saw thin on General Aviation news.
    Manufacturer's website: http://www.equipit2020.com/
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    Just saw this on General Aviation news.

Yes this is what I am talking about. When we get closer some company will jump out the darkness and come up with plug and play through a modem that you buy from Google Avionics for $29.95. OR one of the biggies will finally step in and built something for your tablet(IPAD/Microsft) for some unbelievable price, like $100. bucks....technology is progressing faster than the system can keep up. I live in this world everyday at CBP HQ.

Lloyd
    Still waiting....LOL

PS...."Love your Tri-Pacer like you've never loved before, and she will rain down happiness on you daily"......