Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 49 of 69 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Quote Originally Posted by SMO22 View Post
    For LED lights, look at these, I have them, they were a gift, I haven't installed them yet, they should reduce the load and supposed to be brighter...
    Are those STC'd or how does that work ?

I thought the right wing light / TIS-B receiver from uAvionix might be forthcoming, but nothing on their website yet... Donn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    While my Xponder is working fine it's old, 1980's technology. The cost difference between a UAT ADSB is about $1000, which would be cheaper than than buying a new transponder at a latter date.
    That's good thinking on your part. The older Narco and King transponders all have a cavity tube in them that WILL go bad at some point. The repair cost could be more than the unit is worth. Even if installing the GDL 82, it might be wise to upgrade the transponder at the same time, as the total installation costs would likely be less than waiting for the transponder to fail. If you don't want a brand new transponder, you can pick up used Garmin GTX 327's for about $400 dollars these days as folks pull them for ADS-B installations.

Tom P.
    Wagabond @ 08A
    Last edited by 6PapaWhiskey; 03-09-2019 at 05:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn’t do anything real quick if you help it. Right now Nav Canada is requiring antenna diversity ES transponders

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...enna-diversity

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6PapaWhiskey View Post
    That's good thinking on your part. The older Narco and King transponders all have a cavity tube in them that WILL go bad at some point. The repair cost could be more than the unit is worth. Even if installing the GDL 82, it might be wise to upgrade the transponder at the same time, as the total installation costs would likely be less than waiting for the transponder to fail. If you don't want a brand new transponder, you can pick up used Garmin GTX 327's for about $400 dollars these days as folks pull them for ADS-B installations.

Tom P.
    Wagabond @ 08A
    That was my immediate reaction to installing the GDL82. Then I discovered there are boat load of transponders for sale cheap because people were pulling them to install the 1090ES transponders. I was given, as in for free, an operative Bendix King .
    For the difference in price of an ES transponder and the uAvionix or GDL82 I can buy several KT76A’s if mine fails.

Post Thanks / Like

Just did my validation flight for rebate last weekend. skyBeacon on my Colt. Perfect PAPR and GAIRS. Using old refurbished King xpndr. $1899-500=$1399. Installed as part of annual.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue44 View Post
    Are those STC'd or how does that work ?

I thought the right wing light / TIS-B receiver from uAvionix might be forthcoming, but nothing on their website yet... Donn
    The right wing green light ADHD in skysensor is out on the uavionix website, $749. https://uavionix.com/product/skysensor-exp/

The bulbs I posted are just led replacements for the hi draw original non TSO bulbs, your swappin a non TSO for another non TSO bulb.
    Last edited by SMO22; 03-10-2019 at 12:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

SMO22,

That fast! I was looking at their site yesterday and they had not posted that information yet. I was thinking sometime this summer for release. Any chance you could post some pictures of the install? May sound corny, but I’m wondering how they look on the plane....thanks!

Greg

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

I have a GTX 320 in the for sale section that will slide ride into the KT 76A tray. Direct replacement with no installation cost.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grbamford View Post
    SMO22,

That fast! I was looking at their site yesterday and they had not posted that information yet. I was thinking sometime this summer for release. Any chance you could post some pictures of the install? May sound corny, but I’m wondering how they look on the plane....thanks!

Greg

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org
    I think you got some post mixed up, Flyjeep asked about tailbeacon and also LED lights, I posted link to aerolites LED bulbs if he decided the tailbeacon was not going to work for him, that way he at least had a way to reduce electrical draw.

Than Blue44 asked about the right wingtip ADSD in skysensor not being on uavionics website, I looked and it is there and posted that link.

I am not ASDB in or out equipped, I am heeding Gilberts posts, I have a transponder from well into last century, I don't fly anywhere near mandated airspace and usually fly at 700-800 feet AGL, think I will hold off on buying til things simmer down some and see how all this plays out.

I was given aerolites LED bulbs and I can post pics of those once I get them installed.
    Last edited by SMO22; 03-10-2019 at 08:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember earlier posts were concerned about the skybeacon units being too easily stolen and they were avoiding them for that reason. In one of the installation videos they mentioned that you need the password to do the setup and it's unique to each unit. Hadn't thought about that but it's a good point that would make a stolen unit useles. Not really worried about theft anyway but thought I would share this.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb