Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 65 of 69 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

[QUOTE=grbamford;118291]Quick update to the thread.....
    Spoke to Uavionix @ Airventure. They plan on shipping skylight in the next two months. I’m looking forward to having matching LED position and strobe lights. Also, trying to remember who started the thread about PMA 36 landing and taxi lights, but I bought a pair of them from Aerolites. Looking forward to getting them installed. Thank you for the info. They were only $85 a piece at the show.

Greg you may have also seen they have an updated version of the skyLight with built in ADS-B In with Wifi to your Phone/Tablet in development called the skySensor.

I think they said it would be $800 for existing skyBeacon customers, vs. $500 for the Nav/Strob light only version.

Of course it will be available as experimental only like most of their products in the beginning, so may be a long wait before certification happens.

https://uavionix.com/products/skylight/
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Brian;118293]
    Quote Originally Posted by grbamford View Post
    Quick update to the thread.....
    Spoke to Uavionix @ Airventure. They plan on shipping skylight in the next two months. I’m looking forward to having matching LED position and strobe lights. Also, trying to remember who started the thread about PMA 36 landing and taxi lights, but I bought a pair of them from Aerolites. Looking forward to getting them installed. Thank you for the info. They were only $85 a piece at the show.

Greg you may have also seen they have an updated version of the skyLight with built in ADS-B In with Wifi to your Phone/Tablet in development called the skySensor.

I think they said it would be $800 for existing skyBeacon customers, vs. $500 for the Nav/Strob light only version.

Of course it will be available as experimental only like most of their products in the beginning, so may be a long wait before certification happens.

https://uavionix.com/products/skylight/
    Brian,

That is great news. I’ve got some time until I buy skylight/skysensor . If they show good progress I may just wait until they have it available for certificated aircraft. I’m really pleased with skybeacon so I think it would be worth the wait. I’ve held off of buying a stratus 3 or sentry in hopes that they may get it done. BTW, light install went great. Whoever designed those light brackets and screw backings needs to have their head examined though! The aerolites are amazing, they put out some amazing light. The LED bug has bitten me and I’m going to replace all my bulbs with them.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone looked at the trig TT31? From what it says it will slide into a kt76 and other legacy trays.
    https://www.trig-avionics.com/produc...k-transponder/

Just read the install manual and you would need to have or install a gps source. That changes the $$ a bit.
    Last edited by Flyjeep; 10-06-2019 at 11:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flyjeep View Post
    Has anyone looked at the trig TT31? From what it says it will slide into a kt76 and other legacy trays.
    https://www.trig-avionics.com/produc...k-transponder/

Just read the install manual and you would need to have or install a gps source. That changes the $$ a bit.
    I believe that a number of other avionics manufacturers use one of the Trigs and basically 're-badge', so you will find a number that will slide into the KT76 tray. You may need another pin or two in the connector, and modern coax to the antenna, and a GPS source, and more $$, of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Just an FYI, the FAA $500 ADS-B rebates have all been reserved. However, I went to their website and they say "Please check the website each Wednesday at 1 pm Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) to see if any rebates are available." Well, sure enough, I was there last Wednesday right at 1pm and secured one of the rebates for myself. Fair warning that this week appears to be the last week these will be available.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Awesome, that is excellent.
    did you happen to get the actual 3D file? I have a printer and printing it would be super cool!

Post Thanks / Like

I am finally getting ready to do the ADS-B Out thing. To summarize what I have learned from this discussion thread, I would be grateful if Steve or other folks can confirm the key points below:

The tailBeacon does not fit a Pacer, correct?

Steve Pierce can supply the skyBeacon at a discount, correct?

With my Madras wingtips I will need a spacer. Is anyone selling spacers? Or is a template available?

If I need to make my own spacer, what materials are acceptable and easy to fabricate? Is wood okay?

The spacer is a sufficiently minor mod that no extra paperwork or approval is needed, correct?

My regular A&P can do the installation and approval, correct?

Post Thanks / Like

GDL 82 TSO $1695 from Spruce
    have a cirrus, a pa-22-181, a c150, couple c172s, my colt all need ADSB out, this Garmin product is pretty straiGt forward.
    Your Gonna need an IA to do the 337/STC.
    Last edited by at7615; 11-03-2019 at 10:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RGreenberg View Post
    I am finally getting ready to do the ADS-B Out thing. To summarize what I have learned from this discussion thread, I would be grateful if Steve or other folks can confirm the key points below:

The tailBeacon does not fit a Pacer, correct?

Steve Pierce can supply the skyBeacon at a discount, correct?

With my Madras wingtips I will need a spacer. Is anyone selling spacers? Or is a template available?

If I need to make my own spacer, what materials are acceptable and easy to fabricate? Is wood okay?

The spacer is a sufficiently minor mod that no extra paperwork or approval is needed, correct?

My regular A&P can do the installation and approval, correct?
    R,

I have the skybeacon installed in my '56 Tri Pacer. It was done by my A&P who is also an approved installer for UAvionix. It took us just over 30 minutes to install because an access plate gave me a bit of headache to get the screws out. Not that we necessarily needed to use the access panel in the wing, he just wanted to see how my strobes were wired.

1. I debated the Tailbeacon. One of our fellow members had a tail that was uncovered and did a dry fit. In order to do that, you would have to do some fabric work as well as (and more importantly) some grinding on the metal to fit the tailbeacon. One of several reasons I went with Skybeacon.

2. I do believe if you speak with Steve, he may have it at a discount.

3. Steve has posted a template for spacers. My A&P cutout spacers for my install. If hadn't been able to make them, a friend made a 3D design that was our back up plan.

4. The only thing you need for the 337 is one additional comment that you used a spacer to install the Skybeacon. I've got a straight wing bird, so I do not have much experience with the madras tip issue, though there are several comments about the width/size of the spacers since the skybeacon would sit at an angle w/out significant spacers.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Greg!
    Where is Steve's template posted? Is it relevant to the Madras wingtip?
    Is a 337 form required for this STC modification? Or just a logbook entry?
    -Rick