Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade (?) From PA20

Post Thanks / Like

Default Upgrade (?) From PA20

I have a very original little PA20-135 that has a real soft spot in my heart. I learned to fly in it, have been around Alaska in it, down to the states and back.

It is a sweet flyer, economical, fun... But not very fast (climb prop) and not a 4 person plane if you want to carry anything more than a sack lunch.

So I'm looking for a new airplane.

I want to be able to go places with my family and and have room for camping gear. It doesn't necessarily have to operate out of short strips with 4 people and gear, but that would be a big plus. I live in Alaska and want to be able to go hunting in it. Also the pacer doesn't do great crossing the Alaska range with a load, so that would be a plus. I would like to be able to make it to my home town of Lake Minchumina and back a couple of times a year without having to worry if I can make it up to 9000 ft with a load.

I have considered a PA22/20 for the bigger baggage area and engine. (With Alaska mods). No short strips with big loads, but with a climb prop not a bad performer.

I have also considered a Stinson (do they really stall at 65 mph?)or aeronica sedan - either one with an engine upgrade.

But on paper what looks most appealing to me is a maule, maybe on floats. It sounds like it out performs a 180 at a lower cost, would haul my family, and is a short field performer.

Any comments or experience with the above models (or others) would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Upgrade (?) From PA20

For any substantial difference in performance - You would need a Maule with a 235 or a Cessna 180. The Maule could be had for alittle less money and have the advantage of a Lycoming engine.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Upgrade (?) From PA20

I'd go for the basic version of the M7 with the O-360 and a constant speed prop. 1050 pounds useful. 15k ceiling. Being in Alaska...greater air density during the winter months...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mmoyle; 05-31-2015 at 11:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not upgrade engines?

Post Thanks / Like

The 1950 pacer I have has a much smaller baggage area than the later models. Unless carrying people I always run out of room before maxing out weight. No baggage upgrade available.

Post Thanks / Like

Since in Alaska.... We can carry external loads.... Sure would like to come up with a belly pod.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The only major downside of the Maul is getting parts. I learned to fly in a Pacer so am a big fan of the shorting. Loading gear and people into a maul would be easier. How about a big tire 182?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    Sure would like to come up with a belly pod...
    I'm quite surprised this hasn't been done already. Unfortunately in all of my "image sleuthing" around the internet I've not seen a snapshot of one yet (mounted to PA20 or PA22). I've also imagined a "camping cot" mounted in place of the right seat and haven't seen that either. There's an article or two about a Pacer where one of the rear cross-braces was made removable to extend the baggage area for camping. Was that Jim Younkin's?
    Todd Loes -- Waterloo, IA
    (PA22-150 N3568Z)

Post Thanks / Like

182.....Omg!!!!!! $$$$$$$
    Last edited by rsrguy3; 06-02-2015 at 12:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The 182 seems like a great value. I would like to be able to fly with skis, and that seems like the one drawback. That and the weak nose gear.