Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paint peeling/cracking

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They sell silver butyrate already mixed. I haven't seen silver paste for sale in years. Nitrate first and then silver.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Paint peeling/cracking

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    They sell silver butyrate already mixed. I haven't seen silver paste for sale in years. Nitrate first and then silver.
    Spruce shows it. So I need some nitrate and then silver for everything or just raw fabric? I don’t have the Ceconite manual from 1999 when the fuselage was painted but I have top coat peeling in places. The logs do show Randolph and at least part of the airplane was rejuvenated at one time. The fuselage is the only non-Stewart Systems part left.

I will talk to Wicks and/or Spruce next week at the show.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jim Hann; 07-17-2019 at 07:03 PM.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Paint peeling/cracking

If you are down to bare fabric, nitrate first, then butyrate silver. Butyrate won’t stick to the fabric. I believe it is nitrate for the first couple coats, then a couple coats butyrate clear, then silver, then color. Get the Ceconite Manual. You can download it free. As some have said, you could use Stewart’s for the repair since their STC says it can be used over any other process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Rejuvenator, Nitrate, Butyrate, Pre Mixed Silver Butyrate, Colored Butyrate.
    Sand a lot also, nothing to it. If the dope is peeling or cracking you probably need to go down to the fabric and build the surface back up. MEK will take off the old dope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

On exposed fabric I brush on a coat of nitrate and then a couple of coats of silver.

Post Thanks / Like

When I had the Howard, it was Ceconite with dope and the color coat was PPG Deltron. There were a number of places where it cracked and bare fabric was showing. I peeled away the dope/paint build up so I had clean edges, and built up back up starting with Nitrate, then butyrate and silver. Feathered the edges, then went over the area with Deltron. Most places I was able to get the paint to blend with no overspray or paint lines. A couple areas the first time around, the color match was off by a little so you could pick it up. Next batch the color was spot on and you really needed to look close to find the repaired areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk