Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NARCO MK12 D/E displays

Post Thanks / Like

Default NARCO MK12 D/E displays

Just as an FYI, If you or anyone you know needs a new Display for their NARCO MK 12 D/E you don't need to pay Ebay "vulture pricing" for someone's surplus. DigiKey www.digikey.com has new manufacture.
    Part number 541-1413-ND is available for $132.00. (as opposed to Ebay $220.00 plus $20.00 for shipping). Installation is delicate but not hard.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: NARCO MK12 D/E displays

could have used this info about 4-5 yrs ago
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 810 and was having.. still having digit display errors like the picture, and couldnt afford a new radio, but found out a few months ago that a flashlight shined on the light sensor I circled in green will fix those disappearing digits and light them all back up bright, problem fixed temporarily until I can buy a better radio. I think the 12D has the same sensor, I circled it from a google image of that radio. My 810 will go completely blank sometimes or just some digits partially displayed, either way shining a light on the sensor will make the digits come back and show bright.

Digikey does show my display available for $124. I wonder how to tell if it's the display or that light sensor that is causing the problem? Hate to buy it and it not fix the problem.. sometimes all the digits light up nice and sometimes not.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Semper Fi; 06-18-2015 at 01:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine started out like your top picture and then got dimmer and finally quit. Wasn't sure who to send it to so it went to the big avionics shop in SLC and
    it was way too expensive. Got better options now. That display cost posted here is great and there is a shop in Lafayette , IN. Lafayette Avionics,
    they have been working on Narco 12's since they were born and feel it is a very good radio.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

One thing you might do is make sure the sensor is not dirty. That is a pipe dream version of a fix. Actually the optical sensor is not very complicated and is pretty reliable. Your problem is more than likely the display driver chip. The sensor varies control voltage to the chip which controls the amount of voltage to the display depending on ambient light. Unfortunately until you get inside the box with a meter it is all speculation. The parts aren't that expensive but you are probably looking at a couple of hours labor.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I will make sure the sensor is clean, but sounds more like the display driver chip going.. I will use the flashlight in the opticle sensor for a few more months.. maybe twist the little vsi night light toward the 810 light sensor until I can afford a new radio. Thanks for the explanation.

Post Thanks / Like

This video is at night but it lights up bright in the daytime also.. I may have an avionics shop look at the sensor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iX9...e_gdata_player

Post Thanks / Like

Don't go into the Avionics Shop and tell the tech you want him to "look at the sensor" ! Don't even take the video in ! Go in and tell him the exact symptoms of the problem, he will know immediately what to do and where to start troubleshooting.

(I usually "Zone Out" when an operator starts his version of telling me where to go to start looking for a problem. I have done that ever since in debriefing a navigator explained that just after the IP on a bomb run, he lost all Heading after he thought he "had a short in the warning light" so he took the light out and waded up the tin foil from his chewing gum and stuck it in the light socket.)

Post Thanks / Like

Homer,

Everybody that is worth their salt knows to wrap the chewing gum wrapper around the fuse. Ya just don't WAD it up.. That isn't a very airplaneie way to fix stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again,

Then there was this tale;

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/fuse.asp