Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electronic ignition. What say you?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Electronic ignition. What say you?

The flame front will start on the first plug. Granted, both plugs firing at the same time would give you a more even burn - but not at double the performance. Cost vs. Benefit, I don't know how well it pans out.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    True but what is the point of dual ignition if the two plugs in the same cylinder fire at different times?
    This is a reason I should do a mag drop test at cruise and at altitude.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Electroair has some good info on the two vs one electronic mag. The data I read said it didn't make that much of a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the dual ignition is primarily for redundancy in event of a failure. That's the way it started out. I would suspect the FAA bought off on a single install first with a
    known backup (magneto) before they make the leap of faith to allow a dual EI in a certified AC. Be interesting to see what options Emag gives when they get
    it approved. I like their process of incorporating a power source in the mag itself.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

I might be off on this....my read on electronic ignition, the cost benefit is the advance curve. Being of little value at low altitudes. At high altitude advancing the spark will create higher cylinder pressure creating better performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Just having the timing move depending on load and rpm will improve power output, plus the hotter spark will promote a more complete combustion. So in essence you'll get more power at rpm and load setting other than what the engine is rated at (which is what the mags are timed for), thus needing less throttle for the same power output. And with the better burn your going to get more power per pound of fuel burnt.

The thing that's always been foggy to me is, in auto class I was taught that when two separate flame fronts burning from opposite sides of the cylinder met n the middle the corresponding effect was detonation. Which could beat/burn a hole in the piston. What prevents that in dual ignition systems with plugs firing at the same time at opposite sides?
    (This post here shows I know a lot and very little at the same time )

Post Thanks / Like

The advance curve on the certified electronic mag is very limited and rpm controlled. The real advantage is the experimental model that has rpm and vacuum advance so it knows how hard the engine is really working. It has a much broader advance curve.

Post Thanks / Like

I have looked real hard at these EI/EFI systems and the real benefit, like Mark mentioned up-thread, is those flying at altitude. The other bonus is those running non-avaition fuel ie. of unknown or low quality/octane.

The real problem is the exponential failure modes introduced by the need for electronics and supplementary systems.

I do think with the eventual loss of 100LL and the continuing loss of quality in mogas that these systems will be the only way to stay in the air with a reciprocating engine. My non-computer cars hate this distilled low shelf life crap.

For the weekend flyer an electrical power package suitable for 1-2 hours in a T-crate or cub-90 is just around the corner technology wise. I know one hour is here right now but still a little spendy. Sadly our short winged birds are the least suited for said conversion...

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Yes, I agree with good customer support. Without EGT, I lean with my tach. I don't recall a change in leaning experience with my EI. As far as engine related issues, I would cut weight first. Light weight starter, alternator and battery. Then install Sutton exhaust.

Would dual EI be twice as expensive? Wow. I am not sure you will get twice the improvement with two EI's.
    There are ample opportunities for weight saving with my airplane starting with the pilot.
    Jim Kirkendall "Knowledge is good."

Post Thanks / Like

Old thread, but do we have any more recent thoughts/experience with electronic mags? My engine's currently being overhauled -- this might be a good time to consider that option. My main desire would be decreasing fuel usage, if that's a possibility. I see one other brand in this thread (eMag), but what I've seen otherwise is Elctroair and Sure-Fly.

Any others? Any current users? How's yours working, Stephen?

Walt
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 02-12-2021 at 05:42 AM.