Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Electronic ignition. What say you?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Electronic ignition. What say you?

We got the runway cleared enough to make a test flight, and everything worked as expected. Starting was notably quicker, I'd say less than one full revolution with the starter and engines fired, though they started pretty well before on dual impulse couplings. Mag drops were about the same, but when leaned out, there was a significant difference in roughness in flight when switching the mag off vs. switching the SIM off. For the money, since they're comparable in price to a mag overhaul, they were a good investment so far. And we shouldn't have to touch them again for 2,400 hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
    I put an e-mag on my Thorp and converted a Willys to electronic ignition a few years back. Both showed improvement. When they get rid of the leaded fuel we will finally be able to run electronic fuel injection on airplanes as well. That’s when we will see real gains. Although a person will have to have a code reader to start troubleshooting engine problems.
    Cool, you have a Thorp? And a Pacer? I do too!!

My Thorp has electroair with a 190 hp IO230. I would like to try an emag as well, thought about replacing my other mag with one. Would like your thoughts on it.

Curtis
    775-722-6342

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeff j View Post
    although a person will have to have a code reader to start troubleshooting engine problems.
    nnnnnoooooooooo..........

Post Thanks / Like

"..lthough a person will have to have a code reader to start troubleshooting engine problems."

OMG, don't remind me! We have a 2015 MB Sprinter RV made by Roadtrek. Talk about COMPLICATED!!! Almost anything requires a trip to the dealer for hookup to MB's proprietary scanner & software. Even the HORN, for cryin' out loud, has to send a signal to the ECU which then sends a signal out to a relay, which then (finally) makes the horn sound, with a 1-2 second delay....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfgoe View Post
    nnnnnoooooooooo..........
    Just short pins 15 and 16 and count the flashes

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    "..lthough a person will have to have a code reader to start troubleshooting engine problems."

OMG, don't remind me! We have a 2015 MB Sprinter RV made by Roadtrek. Talk about COMPLICATED!!! Almost anything requires a trip to the dealer for hookup to MB's proprietary scanner & software. Even the HORN, for cryin' out loud, has to send a signal to the ECU which then sends a signal out to a relay, which then (finally) makes the horn sound, with a 1-2 second delay....
    An autel scan tool can and does interface with the sprinter vans. I kept my scantool after I closed my auto shop to be able to trouble shoot our '16 sprinter. Luckily havent needed to seeming as I've drug my feet on obtaining a repair manual and dont have so much as an electrical diagram for it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app