Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: O-320 A2B Pulsating Oil pressure readings

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: O-320 A2B Pulsating Oil pressure readings

The restrict or is there so if you break an oil pressure line it slows done the leak enough to get on the ground before the engine siezes. I have seen plenty of engines with and without that don't have a bouncing needle. How far does your needle bounce? Mine bounces a few psi. I need to send it in and have the grease put on the gears to drop the osolations.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve
    Agreed, I have had the same feedback outside the forum relative to restrictor's purpose for engine safety. As far as needle bounce, ~2-3 PSI, but very difficult to tell without video the gauge while engine is running. Thanks for your feedback

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone
    Installed new restrictor on engine side.Took aircraft for a quick minute flight. Oil temp 180 degree F, oil pressure steady @ 80 psi. No noticeable pulsation. Plan on taking a longer flight with intentions of videoing the gauge during the flight. Will post the results. Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a PA12 in the shop with the old 4" Stewart Warner oil temp/pressure gauge. Customer swore the bouncing oil pressure needle was air in the system. i guess after standing on his heading bleeding the line he didn't solve the issue. Talked to Butch at John Wolf & Co. and he said could be one of three things. One being the pivot that the needle rides in, the hair spring has gotten weak that dampening fluid or the mechanism is gone. $40-100 to repair. In the mail to him now. Thought others would find this useful.
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 12-07-2018 at 01:55 PM.