Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Engine Cooling Fixes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Engine Cooling Fixes

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    Eye candy. Envious of your patrol/observer-type windows. And, do I spy some specially formed lift strut fairings at the wing interface? Geez and check out the engine cowling and oil cooler mount, paint job and, and... How fast is it? Any detail pics of the windows appreciated.
    -Subsonic
    Thanks! With the GY 26” blimpies I usually see 130-135 mph in cruise. Didn’t loose too much with them.

I’ll try to find or just go take you some window pics in the next day or so. I used to have a ton on photo bucket...

So, there's no venting of the oil cooler triangular mounting box through the firewall, right? Does the air only move from the upper baffle to the firewall box, and through the cooler?
    Correct, the firewall serves as the back wall of the box, making it a plenum for the oil cooler. Just a place for the air to collect and re-stagnate before traveling through the cooler.

In two weeks I’ll have a short cross country and should be able to tell pretty quickly how effective the modification is. Pattern work at 70 deg F isn’t too taxing on my cooling system, haha.

Post Thanks / Like

How did you attach your landing gear to the fuselage?

Post Thanks / Like

Roger built some brackets that bolt to the fuse tubing. I have pics of that in the aircraft logbooks. I can snap some of those if you’re interested.

Sub, sorry I haven’t gotten any pictures up of the windows yet! Should have some fresh ones this weekend!

Post Thanks / Like

That would be great. I'm working on an experimental and considering grove gear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danP View Post
    That would be great. I'm working on an experimental and considering grove gear.

Post Thanks / Like

Eye candy. Envious of your patrol/observer-type windows. And, do I spy some specially formed lift strut fairings at the wing interface? Geez and check out the engine cowling and oil cooler mount, paint job and, and... How fast is it? Any detail pics of the windows appreciated.
    -Subsonic

Pardon the dirt, she needs a bath!

Post Thanks / Like

Did a cross country to see Gilbert last weekend:

OAT: 50 def F

Post Thanks / Like

Some more pictures:

OATs were ~55 deg F.

Post Thanks / Like

Went buzzing around today for a 1.9. Nothing important: just got some fuel, almost landed to visit a friend that turned out not to be home, checked out a field that I got permission to land in, looked for some river bars, then came home!

Last time I got fuel here I got stung on the ear by a wasp. Apparently they were building nests under the ladder rungs.

A couple of pictures demonstrating the view. I love this plane!

Bars were too muddy and too populated over here.

Running lean with the pmags

I’m now having the opposite issue with oil temps, but very happy to be dealing with that! I made a makeshift block to experiment with size. Turns out I was way off. I added a bunch of layers of aluminum tape at my fuel up stop. This size hole got me to 190 degrees. OATs were 40-45. Opening is normally 4”.

I’m going to make something much cleaner that’ll slide in place, with some adjustment available from fully closed to probably 3/4 or so.