Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Experimental Super Pacer/Producer build options?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Experimental Super Pacer/Producer build options?

For a budget, I was thinking I could get a good start on one for 30-40.
    I have a 0-320 that I was going to use in a super cub.
    I agree the best way to do it would be to buy a pacer, Stretch it, and put DE PA-18 wings on it.
    But that wouldn't be enough home built to make it experimental, Would it?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Look up AC 20-27G appendix 8 I think you will find it is a lot easier to qualify for experimental than people think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KSG View Post
    Look up AC 20-27G appendix 8 I think you will find it is a lot easier to qualify for experimental than people think.
    Just checked it out and did some calculating, From what I see,
    If you build the wings, Landing gear, and fit and different engine on it. You would be very close to 50%
    Is this correct?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, that's what the IA here says.

Post Thanks / Like

If you bought all the parts already made, covered, assembled and rigged them, you should meet the 51% rule. Just take a look at the worksheet and see what I mean.

Post Thanks / Like

I have spent the last 12 months going through all the same scenarios that you have debated My original hope was to build an experimental super cub but with the goals I have for the plane I decided to go with stretched PA-22. I was lucky to have found a project that was only 2 miles down the road. It was built using the Blanton conversion plans. My wings are stock ones stretched 18 inches with 87 inch flaps. I figure I can always build different wings at a later date. I plan to use an O-360. Mine will be kept as light as can be and set up for 2 place with a sling rear seat option.

Post Thanks / Like

If it were me going the experimental route with Piper parts I would sure touch base with the local Designated Airworthiness Representative (DAR) you plan to use or the Local FSDO AWI to see what they say you need to do.
    They have really tightened up on this activity. Do not wait until you have built an airplane and then find out cannot get an Airworthiness Certificate.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Like Gilbert says, having jumped thru all the hoops several years ago to go exp. I would take only take advice from members that have lately built and been issued a AW cert. And see what your local FSDO and local DAR will approve. Having said that, I believe exp is the way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

Gilbert is correct to contact local FSDO. When I contacted mine they said they go only by the form. That's what it's for and not doing so could get them in trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KSG View Post
    Gilbert is correct to contact local FSDO. When I contacted mine they said they go only by the form. That's what it's for and not doing so could get them in trouble.
    Good advice, BUT When did you ever see the FAA slap the fingers of one of there own?? THey would just slide it down the road like the 3 rd class med cert. And you would never get your exp AW