Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacer bush plane underway!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pacer bush plane underway!

ASOS is an amazing system. No rebound and hardly any maintenance. I wish Burl would put the drop test video back on his website. It was pretty impressive to see the bounces of hydrsorbs vs the settling ASOS. I have flown several Super Cubs and a Husky I converted to Supper Cub gear that had ASOS. It is nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SClow303 View Post
    ... Has anyone thought of using a 1 1/8 .058 tubing to sleeve the forward cross member from the outside? I easily made a poster board template of the tubes in the cluster and we thought we could run the 1 1/8 tubing through the computerized band saw lengthways. I can then transfer my template to the tubing halves so that I can then sandwich the old tube. It is something that we are considering. ...
    I've done that as a field repair, and feel that that it would be an acceptable reinforcement. - Steve

Post Thanks / Like

I put a large steel, Aluminum and hardware order in yesterday and have the next 6 days off to really tinker on the project. I also sat down here at work yesterday and planned out an upper baggage door frame that will allow access to the hat shelf area from the outside. Biggest thing now is to decide which gear set I am going to order and get them on the way. Finding 1.75 inch square tube to make gear brackets was a little trickier than I thought but I think I have found some at a local race car fab shop. What's the best source for lexan? I want my skylight and rear observer windows to be well tinted.
    Last edited by SClow303; 11-07-2015 at 08:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Airframes Alaska makes up gear fittings for Eddie's modification.

Post Thanks / Like

Well yesterday was a good day. I took a very detailed picture and video log of all the control cables and carefully removed them all intact. I plan to replace them with all new cables. My pulleys were left in place when the previous owner painted the airframe so I removed them all cleaned the one I want re use. I am going with a pretty open and basic interior so the open pulleys will be changed to Javron aluminum ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Started to make the outer sleeve that will provide the reinforcement for the cross tube between the front gear supports. I made a template then used a rotary file of the same diameter as the tubes in the cluster to make the cuts. The bottom is just a mirror image of the top. I hope to get these tacked in tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That should keep your fingers warm for a little while.

Post Thanks / Like

Been working away on the little things that needed done. Picked up a lot of Overtime during the holidays so I am about to order my extended gear and get my new gear mounts on. Pall of the little things have been taken apart including all the cables, trim assembly, seat release levers, etc.... Today I worked on coming up with a plan to replace the channel above the door with 5/8 square tubing to support the Gullwing door mounts. Best thing I have done is order the shortwing drawings CD, top notch and a wealth of information. I also got the Northland PA-18 disc for some reference.

Post Thanks / Like

I used 3/4 to match the existing tube sizes with no issues.
    HunterJ

Post Thanks / Like

Without looking at the drawings I take it the little ledges that stick out are a drip ledge of some sort?