Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacer bush plane underway!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pacer bush plane underway!

Quote Originally Posted by SClow303 View Post
    Been working away on the little things that needed done. Picked up a lot of Overtime during the holidays so I am about to order my extended gear and get my new gear mounts on. Pall of the little things have been taken apart including all the cables, trim assembly, seat release levers, etc.... Today I worked on coming up with a plan to replace the channel above the door with 5/8 square tubing to support the Gullwing door mounts. Best thing I have done is order the shortwing drawings CD, top notch and a wealth of information. I also got the Northland PA-18 disc for some reference.
    Don't replace the channel, weld the square tube below it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The lip is there to attach the aluminum wing to fuselage faring. I welded a new chunk of .032" angle (flat sheet bent in a brake past 90 degrees) to the top side of the square tube after I welded it in....my old one had number 8 and 10 screw holes....wanted new metal to attach the wing faring strip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    The lip is there to attach the aluminum wing to fuselage faring. I welded a new chunk of .032" angle (flat sheet bent in a brake past 90 degrees) to the top side of the square tube after I welded it in....my old one had number 8 and 10 screw holes....wanted new metal to attach the wing faring strip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That works too, but if you don't remove it you won't have to make another one three times to get it right...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

That's funny.... I freely admit to making something more than once or twice... But those strips.... Only once.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess that I should update this as I have been working 10-12 hour days on this project! As some may have seen I picked up Charlies Super Exp 17 fuselage earlier this year and decided to rebuild it for my current project. The tail needed reworked which is no all completed and ready to go. I picked up a set of Super Cub gear and did some additions to beef them up some. My wings have been completely gone through and I am headed into the paint booth tomorrow to spray the wings, control surfaces and gear. I am hoping to have it up on gear mid next week. The next step is re routing the aileron cables to exit the rear of the wing instead of up the front strut. I picked up a O-320 with 49 hours on it a couple months ago. Today I ordered almost everything to complete the build minus the baffling and airbox. Still a ton of little things to tackle but with the time I can devote to it I am hopeful to see it fly this fall. I will upload some pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by SClow303; 06-10-2016 at 04:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks Great ! It should be a lot of fun.

Post Thanks / Like

I am hoping to find a set of PA-18 tail feathers for it.. if not I may order a new set of squared off feathers to give it a little edgier look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you haven't welded the tail post fitting in yet insert a tube inside the tailpost and roset weld through the hole that was for the Tri_pacer tail skid attachment. Lots of pictures of the tailpost cracking there on this website.

http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...k-in-tail-post

Post Thanks / Like

Question for you guys that have been there and done that.... This build is the stock length of a Pacer with the wings stretched 18 inches each side. I have a set of stock Pacer horizontals and elevators ready to go to paint. I also have a set of VG's for the Horizontals. My initial thoughts were to purchase PA-18 feathers. So.... I am looking for opinions on the two. It sure would be nice to save the money but safety is the big issue.