Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel Tank Cover to Tand filler neck Gasket

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fuel Tank Cover to Tand filler neck Gasket

Quote Originally Posted by Tp109 View Post
    Have to find out if this is safe/legal/comfortable for the passengers, looks like it would make a good seal http://store.wagaero.com/product_inf...oducts_id=1936
    Code 8 for experimental

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tp109 View Post
    Have to find out if this is safe/legal/comfortable for the passengers, looks like it would make a good seal http://store.wagaero.com/product_inf...oducts_id=1936
    Just keep AC 23-27 in your back pocket. I may have once seen a similar filler neck gasket having once been originally designed and manufactured for a John Deere tractor. The associated airplane didn't seem to notice, and last I checked, neither were flaming holes at the end of the runway... or then again, maybe it was an aircraft filler neck grommet that was attached to a John Deere tractor... I alway get those two confused...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Curt
    N7606K/N4405H

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Code 8 for experimental
    Since it is for experimental only I should not confess, but I use these seals and they work fine. Nice and tight seal against the tank cover and no water or fuel collecting like on the thin rubber style. No glue or anything needed either.

Juergen

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Owner produced part.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Allycat View Post
    My plan is to bond the gasket to the cover only. Doing this will allow tank cover removal without possible damage to the gasket each time the cover is removed, ie annual/100 hr inspections. It is my belief that, if the gasket is tight around the filler neck of the tank, small spills will be contained long enough to be absorbed with a towel before very much fuel could make its way into the wing.
    I have the ones from Univair and they fit very snugly around the filler neck, as Gilbert mentioned. If I glued it to the cover it would probably tear the first time I yanked it off and I would never get it back into the correct position when I put it back on. Since my airplane lives inside I don't have the issues that JPerkins has with water ingress. Also, 100LL evaporates a lot faster than water!
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Silly question maybe, is the filler neck gasket installed on top or under the tank cover.

Post Thanks / Like

Never mind, found the answer. Speaking of tank covers.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I did some research on the fuel tank filler gasket recently. I am finishing up the rebuild on a 1982 model Super Cub that had never been apart. It had the sponge rubber gasket like on the bottom of a flapper valve seat in a toilet on one filler neck and the flat rubber gasket on the other. When I researched the part numbers for the Clipper, Pacer, Tri-Pacer and Super Cub they all came up using the flat rubber gasket. I wonder if that foam type gasket came from the J3 nose tank or something. These late model Lockhaven Super Cubs have some things that were not done coorrectly. Clyde Smith tells me their work force was retiring and moving the the new plant at Vero Beach.

Post Thanks / Like

Word to the wise
    Attached Images Attached Images