Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interav alt and Plane-power regulator

Post Thanks / Like

Default Interav alt and Plane-power regulator

I will be calling Plane-power in the a.m., but before I do, I would like to hear any input from those that have installed the R1224 regulator.

I have the interav 50 amp stc installed and the regulator is bad. Purchased the PP regulator today for replacement.

The PP instructions speak of connecting the "aux" alternator wire to the aux terminal. Is this the same alternator terminal as the "regulator" terminal as per the interav stc? I suspect it is. I am familiar with the "regulator" terminal nomenclature as but not aux.

Also, yes I am also installing a low voltage light.

Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Interav alt and Plane-power regulator

My first thought is to ask if you are violating the Interav STC by installing a different regulator. You could be making your aircraft "unairworthy" if the parts are not interchangeable in the eyes of the FAA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11767 View Post
    My first thought is to ask if you are violating the Interav STC by installing a different regulator. You could be making your aircraft "unairworthy" if the parts are not interchangeable in the eyes of the FAA.
    Hi,
    Are you absolutely sure of what you are saying?

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the view as prescribed by my local FSDO. This opinion reviewed annually when attending my IA renewal class.

Does the new part conform to "fit, form, function" of the original? Yes. The new regulator is +/- 1 pound of the original, fits in the original firewall location and requires no major re-wire such as different guage or circuit breaker protection. Also, the new part does not require any modification to any existing parts in the system.

Also reference FAR part 43:
    (a) Major alterations—(1) Airframe major alterations. Alterations of the following parts and alterations of the following types, when not listed in the aircraft specifications issued by the FAA, are airframe major alterations:
    (i) Wings.
    (ii) Tail surfaces.
    (iii) Fuselage.
    (iv) Engine mounts.
    (v) Control system.
    (vi) Landing gear.
    (vii) Hull or floats.
    (viii) Elements of an airframe including spars, ribs, fittings, shock absorbers, bracing, cowling, fairings, and balance weights.
    (ix) Hydraulic and electrical actuating system of components.
    (x) Rotor blades.
    (xi) Changes to the empty weight or empty balance which result in an increase in the maximum certificated weight or center of gravity limits of the aircraft.
    (xii) Changes to the basic design of the fuel, oil, cooling, heating, cabin pressurization, electrical, hydraulic, de-icing, or exhaust systems

The new regulator does not change the basic design of the electrical system.

Lastly, see AC 23-27. This FAA doc gives a little bit of relief for those of us operating older aircraft and the need to substitute parts.

This is my take,,,, any other opinions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Inter Av alternator is no longer supported. Using the AC on maintain Vintage aircraft would be appropriate here and I have done it using the Zeftronics regulator.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MD11 View Post
    Hi,
    Are you absolutely sure of what you are saying?
    You don't think it would be a valid question? I do not believe I supplied an actual answer... just the asked for "thought".

What about your low voltage light? That would be a change to the electrical system.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 11-22-2015 at 03:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Would adding a volt gauge be? That would be better than a light.

Post Thanks / Like

A light would get your attention faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Youre right, a light would get my attention fast. I dont think either would be changing the basic system, Im finding AC 23-27 is a great help with antique aircraft

piperrocks2013

Tp109 If you can swing it install a volt meter. It tells you so much what is happening in your plane. I had bizarre charging problem for years on my PA22, kept buying new batteries and finally installed the new generation PC680 which is the same as the approved J16 for the Super Cub with the same damn result it would last 3 months and die. Checked the voltage every time with a Fluke and came out 14.1 Volts at 1500 RPM Runup. Seems all good. I always just blamed the issue with many short flights and cold weather operation..........
    One day I got my hands on digital volt meter and installed it on the plane. After hour of flying I noticed! my voltage went from 14.1 at to 12.5 then 12.2 then hour later went back to 14.1. then back to 12.8.......
    Checked my meter it was all good. Something happened on the next flight.
    Finally traced it quick enough to the voltage reg, bought Zeftroincs regulator and the voltage has been a steady 14.4 since with nomore battery issues/starting. The current drain was never severe enough to really notice on the amp meter, and the generator was just producing enough voltage to handle the avionics but not enough juice to recharge the battery. So over many starts the battery just got weaker and weaker till it died. Hope this Helps

Jared
    Last edited by piperrocks2013; 11-22-2015 at 09:14 PM.