Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Interav alt and Plane-power regulator

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Interav alt and Plane-power regulator

My amp meter goes 13,5 steady then jumps to 14.5 then a minute later goes back to 12.5 ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by piperrocks2013 View Post
    installed the new generation PC680 which is the same as the approved J16 for the Super Cub
    Actually the SBJ16 has thicker plates than the PC680. The PC680 would not pass the TSO.

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Actually the SBJ16 has thicker plates than the PC680. The PC680 would not pass the TSO.
    Fair Enough, Steve I'm on OM, so TSO does not need to apply to me. I was just making a point about the volt meter more then anything. On side note I kinda got laugh bout this TSO on J 16 with its so called thicker plates. The PC 680 was really designed for ATV, Seadoo and other harsh activities where that battery was getting thrown around, way more then any airplane. I know of people used them for over 5 years without issues.

Jared

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My understanding was the plates were deformed at high loads during testing. Plenty of PC680s in experimentals with no problems just wanted folks to know there is a difference in the two batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yarddart View Post
    My amp meter goes 13,5 steady then jumps to 14.5 then a minute later goes back to 12.5 ?
    Voltmeter or ampmeter?

Post Thanks / Like

Was the InterAv regulator built just for them or was it a common regulator available through many sources? The last time I encounter this situation the STC'd regulator was a common one carried by NAPA however it had been superseded so I installed the newer part number.

AC 23-27 only applies to hard to procure parts on older aircraft and is NOT a blanket approval for anything. If you disagree with me please go read the intro before commenting.

As far as the adding the voltage light... how many circuits must be added to constitute a major alteration? Or is it the number of amps drawn that makes the determination?

Fortunately, most desicions like this are in the purveiw of the mechanic signing off the work and/or annual inspection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do you think that AC23-27 would cover the installation on the Zeftronics voltage regulator since Inter Av is no longer in business? There are low voltage light systems that simply plug into the buss. Pretty simple. There are also regulators with the circuit built in.

Post Thanks / Like

Was the InterAv regulator built just for them or was it a common regulator available through many sources?

As far as the adding the voltage light... how many circuits must be added to constitute a major alteration? Or is it the number of amps drawn that makes the determination?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Like most automotive parts used in airplanes it has a different part number. I have never found the equivalent automotive part number and there were several different regulators used over the years according to the installation manuals have collected and posted here.

Post Thanks / Like

Then I would say the Zeftronics is good, as is the plane power.

If it is available then AC 23-27 cannot be used. It says so in the very first paragraph of the AC. I got lucky, the instance I encountered, the STC named the automotive part number so finding a replacement didn't require any research.

How long has InterAV been out of business? I still see their kits for sale on Univair.