Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ADSB-In on the cheap!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ADSB-In on the cheap!

Hi All,

I've been working on the Stratux project for about three months at this point and it is
    at this point beginning to stabilize into a mature system. The major revisions to the code
    are slowing down as bugs are becoming scarce and important features are mostly
    covered. There are some tips I will share with the SWP that may be useful:

Don't bother with the EAA or other print magazine sites. They are seriously out of date
    with features and buy lists. There are new SDR (receiver) dongles and wifi chips. Some of
    the old WiFi dongles previously recommended are no longer supported.

At this point do not waste money on an AHRS chip. It is an added feature which is not
    yet working - the output data precesses badly. I would suggest waiting until the main band
    of coders resolve the sensor fusion / integration issues, then buy the chip recommended
    at that point, it may not be the RY835.

To get started, if your tablet or phone already has a GPS, there is no need to buy another
    one for the Stratux. It will add soldering complexity where none may be required.

As for antennae, some of the crowd has a real fetish for different antennae. However, the
    little rubber duckies that come with the SDR dongles work pretty well in the air and for
    the purpose of detecting relevant traffic (as opposed to stuff 100 miles away) the default
    antenna works fine. On the ground, the default antenna on my rig routinely sees 1090
    traffic in the flight levels at 100 - 150 SM distance. Many users got concerned when they
    did not see 978 traffic or weather from on the ground. Air to ground reception of 978
    traffic is still pretty rare except around airports and you won't seen most of the 978 traffic
    (uplinked) or any wx unless you are pretty much direct line-of-sight to an ADSB ground
    station regardless of antenna. On the other hand, if you are putting the Stratux rig deep
    inside an aluminum or carbon fiber fuselage, you may need a better antenna, most likely
    an external antenna because of shielding. Moving the Stratux is a cheaper solution.

The Stratux is an electricity hog, relatively speaking. Many users have gone to bigger
    batteries. Unfortunately, this doesn't usually help. The issue is that the tiny wires
    (like 27 ga) in cheap, long USB cables has too much resistance and drops the voltage
    too much to run the RaspPi and all the peripherals. The solution is to run power from the battery through a short, high quality cable to the Pi. A double cable is probably even
    better. Recent changes to the software have reduced power consumption also.

Finally, a big issue with the system is the lack of a decent case. Some people have
    designed 3D printable cases which protect the components and hide the wires,but
    do nothing to cut down on the radio interference generated by the Pi, or to deal with
    the heat it generates. Combined with the heat from solar infra-red on the glareshield
    of a SWP in a southern state is actually enough in summer to melt the 3D printer plastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Sheesh, didnt know you guys were so hi-tech or talented!

Post Thanks / Like

Jess trying to save the boys some bucks on the toys so ya'll can buy more AV Gas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Sheesh, didnt know you guys were so hi-tech or talented!
    Yeah, for about $150 I have better weather info available in the Pacer than I do in the A300! (Yep, that is a sad statement.)
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Jim,

Can you get traffic with UAT only or is that information only broadcast on 1090?

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

The stratux can receive both 978 and 1090 if you have two SDR dongles (about $30 each).

In the US 1090 is mostly transport type aircraft and you see them whiz by in the flight levels

978 UAT has much more bandwidth and has both TIS (traffic) and FIS (weather and airspace info like TFRs, MOA
    activity, etc). On the ground wit 978, you will only see downlink transmissions from the occasional UAT-Out
    equipped aircraft (individual traffic targets). Once airborne a 978 receiver will see the UAT ground towers which
    spew TIS when there is an ADSB-Out equipped plane around your location (about 15 SM radius), and FIS all the
    time.

Post Thanks / Like

Rampil,

Sounds good ... I should get the info I want with just the 978. Flew in and out of PHX's Class B recently and got a sore neck looking for traffic.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Will this work with my Nexus 7 running the Garmin software?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Will this work with my Nexus 7 running the Garmin software?
    According to some folks on the Reddit page, no. It appears (I don't have Garmin software) that the Garmin hardware performs a "handshake" before the data begins. Stratux cannot do this as far as I understand. You might check the Reddit page, I just did a quick search.

Jim
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. Someone is doing the same this side of the Atlantic:
    http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php

Perhaps collaboration at some stage?
    TonyN