Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Just a few shots of the trip home

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just a few shots of the trip home

Finally figured out how to add photos to the posts and figured I'd share a few photos of us getting the plane home.

* Not sure why some of the pictures are upside down in the thread but when I click on them, they are right side up. *

IMG_6219.jpg
    All smiles after departing Yolo County Airport (KDWA)

IMG_6229.jpg
    First stop: Harris Ranch (K3O8 ) to take a restroom break, check on the fuel and oil consumption, grab a snack and check the weather at our destination of Oxnard. At this time the weather isn't looking great at Oxnard but we believe it will clear up enough if we wait an hour. We waited and took off headed south again.

IMG_6237.jpg
    Flew over the Tejon Pass which was beautiful, except for the looming marine layer smacked up against the southern edge of the mountains. Stayed at 7500 ft for a few minutes then realized Oxnard wasn't going to happen. Diverted to Fox Field in Lancaster (KWJF) after checking the weather. Winds were 24 gusting to 31 about 20 degrees off runway heading so the approach and landing was fun. Parked the plane and after making sure it was secure started to see if Oxnard would be a possibility at all. It wasn't. We stayed the night in a local hotel and I got a picture of the plane safely parked to send the wife so she wouldn't worry. The next day we got to the airport early to prep the plane in case the marine layer broke. Just as I was about to lose out hope my wife sent me a picture of blue skies starting to open up over our house. We checked a few more reports, made some calls to other pilots in the area and decided to give it a shot. Worst case scenario, we would return to Fox Field and wait for someone to arrive to pick us up.

IMG_6246.jpg

After climbing to altitude, we saw the all too familiar blanket of white clouds below on the other side of the mountains again. But it was breaking up in places and we could see the coast. I knew at this point our chances of getting home were good. ATC was keeping an eye on us and we were watching for the first opportunity to legally get under the cloud layer that was reported to be between 4000 and 5500.

IMG_6247.jpg
    All smiles again. My son was really happy when he also realized the trip home was almost over as he had a computer he wanted to get back to.

After a short flight on top, we saw an opening that was easily 5 miles wide. After letting ATC know we'd be dropping through the hole and verifying they didn't have a problem with it we got under the cloud layer and had a good remainder of the flight to Oxnard.

349610403_648653607160024_7281093210554273667_n.jpg

A few friends were tracking us and made sure to be at the airport for our arrival. It was nice to have the plane home and even better that the county was able to get us a hangar before we arrived.

Now I sit here, wishing I could take the plane up so I can get more familiar with it, figure out the best glide speed, and practice some landings only to realize the keys are with my wife and she is at work...
    Last edited by Will K; 06-02-2023 at 05:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Just a few shots of the trip home

Congrats, looks like a fun trip. Now that you got it home you can relax and just play with it and get real comfortable. Oh, and I have a son that is the same way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When I bought 31D I had to move here from Monterey to Va. Our first leg was to Fox Field. We had been hoping to make Tucson. Coastal fog and massive headwinds cost us. Same adventure on final with some sporty winds. Looks like a great trip. Congrats on your new to you plane.

Post Thanks / Like

The SoCal marine layer has forced me to Fox Field and it's sporty winds also. Thanks for the pics.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent memory!
    Your son will always remember the adventure with Dad

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grbamford View Post
    When I bought 31D I had to move here from Monterey to Va. Our first leg was to Fox Field. We had been hoping to make Tucson. Coastal fog and massive headwinds cost us. Same adventure on final with some sporty winds. Looks like a great trip. Congrats on your new to you plane.
    Definitely sporty. He was a little concerned when we flew somewhat sideways on downwind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    The SoCal marine layer has forced me to Fox Field and it's sporty winds also. Thanks for the pics.
    Takeoff on day 2 was sporty as well. 21 gusting to 19. That was fun