Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me mount my iPad...

Post Thanks / Like

Question Help me mount my iPad...

How are you mounting your iPad? I searched SWP and found a few threads but nothing specific to mounting the iPad. I have a 53 22/20 (flat glare shield) with a relatively full panel. Not much of a glare shield to mount to...

My mission is to see Alaska! I am not interested in staring at an iPad, so I desire to have the mount easily visible, in the natural line of site but without obstructing the view. Frankly, I will use the iPad for X-C flights but otherwise keep it in the bag.

I attempted a knee board type, but found that very inconvenient. What is your opinion on a yoke mount? What about the security/stability of a suction cup mount on either the side of the windshield or perhaps the window?

Another option is to clamp to the V brace with a long arm, enough to keep it out of the field of view?

So, my center panel has the radio stack, audio panel and VOR so probably won't be particularly convenient (however that is definitely the most attractive in my opinion).

Cheers...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Help me mount my iPad...

efrench,

It's a good question and something we discuss here from time to time. I tried a few different solutions before I found the one that work for me. I initially had a full size iPad and I never found a good solution. Like you, it would obstruct my vision or my flight controls. I've got a 1956 22. I went to the iPad mini and bought a suction cup RAM mount. What finally worked for me was to attach the suction cup on my windscreen above my natural line of sight. Its pretty easy to see and doesn't eat up too much of my windscreen. I know that nobody likes to give up visibility but it is the best of both worlds for me. I tried to mount it on the window next to me in the left seat and I felt crowded. I tried to mount it on the support bars up front and had a lot of glare impact or lost too much visibility to be safe. I try to keep things off my controls and out of my immediate space. My solution works for me, maybe it might work for you.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

My brother has an full-size iPad and I thought it was too big in the cockpit. I decided on a 7" Samsung tablet (using Avare) and it's a better size for me. I just keep it on my lap or in the seat. It does make for some head-down time when I'm messing with it but typically I'm only glancing at it anyway. Probably less time than I would spend squinting at a paper chart trying to read it -at least I can zoom the tablet. I'm not sure if I would like to lose the realestate to try and mount it anywhere in a better line of sight. Besides I find glare a big problem with tablets and having it hard mounted in one place would make it harder to tilt/move to remove the glare. They do make those knee-board tablet mounts but I've never been a big fan of knee-boards. I guess I'm too short & fat so I don't have that much room on my leg where the yoke wouldn't hit it.

My $.02 YMMV
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grbamford View Post
    efrench,

... What finally worked for me was to attach the suction cup on my windscreen above my natural line of sight. Its pretty easy to see and doesn't eat up too much of my windscreen. I know that nobody likes to give up visibility but it is the best of both worlds for me. I tried to mount it on the window next to me in the left seat and I felt crowded. I tried to mount it on the support bars up front and had a lot of glare impact or lost too much visibility to be safe. I try to keep things off my controls and out of my immediate space.

Greg
    Thank you Greg. Great information. So, if I am reading this correctly, you are keeping your device above the windshield (or nearly so) to the left of the trim? I think I like that option.... I do have a skylight, so I'll have to give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    ... Besides I find glare a big problem with tablets and having it hard mounted in one place would make it harder to tilt/move to remove the glare. They do make those knee-board tablet mounts but I've never been a big fan of knee-boards. I guess I'm too short & fat so I don't have that much room on my leg where the yoke wouldn't hit it.

My $.02 YMMV
    Also great information. Unfortunately I have a full size iPad right now, which works great for the AHRS and map side/side. But certainly inconvenient for location. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I use. I have my 10" Galaxy Note mounted to it. I put a strip of 2" wide velcro (loop side) on the back of my tablet cover and the "hook" velcro on the leg mount. Works great, positions tablet at a nice angle in portrait mode. I strap it to my right leg. Tablet doesn't obscure vision mounted on leg.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...clickkey=43218

Last edited by kloudking1; 02-03-2016 at 05:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

2012-02-20 12 41 30.jpg
    2012-02-20 12 42 04.jpg
    2012-02-20 12 48 44.jpg
    This is with a full size iPad. I have since gone to a mini and have no complaints.
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Flying bee, I keep mine on my leg but I like your idea. I might try that.

Greg, can you put some pictures up of where yours is mounted? I'm trying to visualize but it seems too high in my head.

OP, I keep mine on my left leg. Slide it over on the Velcro strap during t/o and ldg so that it's against the side of my leg next to the cabin wall.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

A buddy of mine flys with a full size iPad (with the cellular connection iPad has a built in GPS) running Garmin pilot. It covers his six pack. Flew his pacer from Wisconsin to Alaska...not once did he pull the iPad to use his instruments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flying bee View Post
    2012-02-20 12 41 30.jpg
    2012-02-20 12 42 04.jpg
    2012-02-20 12 48 44.jpg
    This is with a full size iPad. I have since gone to a mini and have no complaints.
    Brilliant! I like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    A buddy of mine flys with a full size iPad (with the cellular connection iPad has a built in GPS) running Garmin pilot. It covers his six pack. Flew his pacer from Wisconsin to Alaska...not once did he pull the iPad to use his instruments.

Excellent thought. Indeed with the AHRS it is likely easier to navigate anyhow. The 2 things missing from the IPad is airspeed and magnetic heading. But not a big deal at cruise as long as the CDI is centered on the iPad.

Post Thanks / Like

That's why my friend uses the Garmin Pilot app. I use the stratus 2 and foreflight.