Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Watch that prop!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Watch that prop!

Earlier this week, one of my hangar neighbors moved the prop on his Tri-Pacer and the engine fired, hitting him in the head. The injury is a cut to his skull from the top of his head to his eye socket. He is still hospitalized going in and out of consciousness. Apparently there were people around and he got help very quickly. One of the guys that was there said the mag switch was in both and the mixture pulled lean. Airplane was in hangar. Just thought I would pass it along. It's easy to become complacent.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Watch that prop!

Sorry to hear this I think if you remove key it a better practice.i know I have left key in be careful out there

Post Thanks / Like

The best practice is to treat the prop as if the engine is going to fire anytime you move the prop!

Kloudking1...My thoughts and prayers are for your friends recovery. Any event like this is a needless tragedy!
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

That's really bad news, I hope your friend will recover.

On our old planes, the mag switches and keys can be really worn.
    I know I can use several other keys from my hangar-mate's Shortwings (we have six in several hangars clustered together) to turn the mag switch, mine works in some other planes as well. And I can remove mine even in the BOTH position.
    So we have to be very deliberate when selecting mag positions including OFF and key out.
    Personally, I verbalize it, even if I am alone: "Mixture to IDLE CUTOFF - Key in OFF position - remove key and place on dash" so anyone can see it when they look before approaching the plane or prop.
    Most of my flying pals do the same thing so we all know the status of a particular plane. One of the benefits/risks of having a group in close quarters.

Lets all be safe out there.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Tony
    So sorry to here that. As Mark stated it should not have happened.
    Key in key out doesn't mater.
    Mag wire can be broken, yes I had one. Mixture can still leave gas in the eng.
    I think us old farts that flew a bunch of planes that you had to prop learned all of these basics. Yes I have propped everything from a 65 to a 450 P&W. Every time I turn a prop it is as if it will start or fire.
    A very good friend of mine was seriously hurt doing a compression check. That should not have happened either if done the correct way.
    I really hope the recovery is fast and no problems.
    Jim The old fart

Post Thanks / Like

I do a couple things. First, a couple years ago I started doing my mag check post flight including a mag Kill check at engine idle. It sure is nice finding a fouled plug or mag problem at the end of a flight rather at the run up after being all loaded up and ready to roll: nothing worse then the back taxi of shame.

The other thing I do is my exit the aircraft Three "Ms" check: master mags mixture.

After reading the first post earlier today I stopped my two guys and we had a quick coffee break and talked about safety around propellers- a refresher of sorts.

Still the gun is always loaded! Be smart and be safe.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Had the same thing happen here several years agowhen moving the prop to install the tow bar. Took many stitches. Be careful out there. Always traet a prop as if it were ready to spin.

Post Thanks / Like

Been there done that. Bad p lead and stopped at a breakfast. upon leaving, turned the prop to pull her forward and it fired a couple of blades. Fortunately I was in front, keys in my pocket. Also had a bad switch and you could remove the key in both or have it fall out in flight. All new now and frequently shut it down with the key at end of flight. I like the post flight mag check idea. I think I'll start that too. Easy enough while back taxiing. Like a gun, always loaded.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Bendix key mag switch has an AD note to check for a "not grounding" condition. Can't remember the time interval.
    I try to do what Rocket does. Had a problem with the key mag switch (Bendix), got tired of dealing with it and put
    in two toggles like American Champion in the Citabria. l my shut down memory item is MIxture, Mags, Alternator, Master - "1,2,3,4" and out the door.
    Before leaving the plane after I am ready to leave, I look in and confirm mags and battery are off.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

As Rocket said, a mag check at end of flight including a hot mag check. I was taught this years ago on round engines and could never understand why it wasn't done with all engines?
    DougG