Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrison oil cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Default Harrison oil cooler

I am in the process of collecting parts for the O-320 installation on my pacer. The STC says to use the Harrison AP13SJ03-01 oil cooler. Does anyone know the part number for the AP13SJ03-01 oil cooler. I am looking for the modern equivalent.
    thanks
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Harrison oil cooler

TCDS 1A6 for the PA22 (150/160 hp versions) shows both the Harrison AP13SJ03-01 and the AP12CU03-01 both acceptable, so I guess that they are similar. It appears from what I've been able to find so far, that AP12CU03-01 became Harrison p/n 8521940. Aero Classic make an equivalent to the 8521940 as their p/n 8000328--- $539 from Aircraft Spruce.
    I couldn't find any other equivalents, but that will give you somewhere to start!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have severl of those original coolers if needed. I would recommend the Aero Classic or Niagra that are approved replacements. They are a lot lighter and more efficient.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple also. Make good door stops. I like the Niagara.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the information. I was wondering if it was the front mount type. My pacer had a rear mount oil cooler on the O290. I may see if I can just reuse that l. I definitely want to use a rear mount cooler.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the front cools better but you would have to modify or change the nose bowl. There isn't much room to begin with in the rear. We have a 290 20 rear and a 320 20 front. The 320 is getting a oil filter which you couldn't do with a rear cooler. My 22 320 has a Niagara front and oil filter.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Frank,
    my O290 had the oil cooler mounted on the left rear baffle. It also had a oil filter. Is the O320 that much different that this configuration won't work? I don't want a front mount cooler if I can help it. Thanks

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

On our 290 it is center top. Supposedly it was on floats one time and this was a seaplane mod of a larger cooler.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Frank's install sounds like the factory rear mounted cooler whick like he posted is mounted in the middle and if I remember correctly is much smaller cooler than what would be used on an O-320. The left rear baffle mounted cooler works well and makes for a nice clean looking nose bowl. If you have paperwork that is even better. Stewart brothers have an STC if you don't.