Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortwing history and historical photos

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Shortwing history and historical photos

Quote Originally Posted by CPC94V View Post
    Here is a Canadian PA-20, in the era, CF-HOF it seems to be. The scheme is later Pacer and it looks to be a later Pacer. The CF-reg looks to be factory applied so it was Canadian direct from Piper.
    Attachment 10313Attachment 10314
    It is still on the register in canada
    sn 20-965 Pa 20-135
    a gentleman in Ontario owns it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gliderman View Post
    It is still on the register in canada
    sn 20-965 Pa 20-135
    a gentleman in Ontario owns it
    Yes, I just looked that up! Kind of cool because it looks to be a late-model PA-20 (a 1953 it seems) and you don't see those much. Also, I like how Piper applied the CF-HOF registration on the rudder. Its little details like that that make old photos so much fun. Also, the wheelpants....I didn't realize that Piper was still using those wheel pants that late....they originated in like 1948 or so, correct? I found these photos in a photo album I got my hands on filled with Canadian registered planes from the early 1950s....a period Pacer photo is always a gem.

Post Thanks / Like

RIGHT!!! Someone should tool up and make good repros of them. There'd be a market.
    Were the original wheelpants aluminum? Could you really stand on them? I've got a set of fiberglass wheelpants that I don't use because I hate not being able to stand on the tire to check fuel or clean windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a very nice set of metal wheel pants off of a PA-12. I believe they are the same as those used on the shortwings, as the PA-12 and the shortwings used the same axels and tires to my knowledge. I would be willing to let them go if anyone has any interest.

Post Thanks / Like

Deandayton, yes the original wheel pants are made of aluminum, you can stand on them but it does put a lot of stress on them and you have a good chance of scratching the paint and denting the aluminum. I don't stand on mine, I use a ladder.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I just looked that up! Kind of cool because it looks to be a late-model PA-20 (a 1953 it seems) and you don't see those much. Also, I like how Piper applied the CF-HOF registration on the rudder. Its little details like that that make old photos so much fun. Also, the wheelpants....I didn't realize that Piper was still using those wheel pants that late....they originated in like 1948 or so, correct? I found these photos in a photo album I got my hands on filled with Canadian registered planes from the early 1950s....a period Pacer photo is always a gem.
    that is how I want to put my registration on- but the new reg's say that it has to be 6" high- gonna have to fiddle a bit to make it work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gliderman View Post
    that is how I want to put my registration on- but the new reg's say that it has to be 6" high- gonna have to fiddle a bit to make it work
    Tuck the legal C-reg under the horizontal tail, 1 shade different color from the rest of the fuselage, and then put the historically accurate CF-reg on the rudder and say its historic decoration or whatever. Comply with the law and keep the cool historic marking. Warbird folks do that all the time here....or vintage folks who are doing say a Tiger Moth in the US and want to keep the British G-reg on the fuse and wing.

Post Thanks / Like

Always a sucker for a proper working airplane, I found out about the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Dept. Piper Pacers awhile back. They were used, best I can tell, from 1953-late 50s. Later Pacers for sure. I think these were direct from Piper, so the cool paint schemes were factory applied I am assuming?? Note how wide the gear is on the ski-equipped one. Heavy plane? Worn out bungees? Normal? These photos are from http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm/search/s...l/order/identi Anyhow, enjoy!

Can_on_wing_of_airplane.jpgPiper_pacer.jpgEnforced_airplane_on_lake.jpgAirplane_and_shot_wolves.jpgAirplane_and_kids.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Smokey the Bear flew in a Pacer
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondblues View Post
    Smokey the Bear flew in a Pacer
    Now I need to know that N number.....