Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawing of flap lever needed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drawing of flap lever needed

I have the flap controls between my seats on my 2+2 project but have not come up with a good setup for the flap control lever yet. In looking at some PA-22 interior pictures, I see that the flap lever for the PA-22 would work perfectly in my Wag 2+2. I have the Short Wing CD but it seems to not have the drawings for the flap lever. The ratchet and other parts are there but not the flap lever. The drawing I am looking for is #12494 Lever Assembly - Flap Control PA20 serial #'s 20-1 > 689, 691, 692, 696 > 704, 22-1 > 4 . It is also listed as #13185 Lever Assembly - Flap Control PA22 Serial #'s 20-690, 693 > 695, 705 +, 22-5 +. These numbers are from the index on the CD but these drawings are missing. Does any one have the drawings of the flap lever? I have a picture of it from Univair but a drawing with dimensions would make it a lot easier to duplicate. Thanks for the help.

Marty57

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Drawing of flap lever needed

There's a flap handle for a 22/20 on eBay right now. Not sure if that helps your project.

Post Thanks / Like

I checked out the listing, thanks. The pictures will help if I can't find the drawings. Thanks for the heads up.
    Marty57

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I not ever seen the drawing. I will see if I have a handle that I can compare to the Super Cub handle. I take it that drawing is available?

Post Thanks / Like

deleted,nevermind
    Last edited by Cub Junkie; 05-18-2016 at 04:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone has a super cub type flap handle for sale, I will send the tri pacer flap handle I have here to Marty and I will buy your flap handle. Being tandem, I can't use the pacer flap handle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The flap lock mechanism between the Super Cub and the Pacer/Tri-Pacer is the same, angle, length and cable attachment are different.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10544[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

That picture is very helpful. When the flap handle is raised, does the ratchet pivot? It looks like the nut has a cotter pin in it? I would need to weld in an attachment for the ratchet unless I bolted it to the plywood floor with a metal brace under the floor similar to rudder pedals. I think the Pacer flap lever could attack like what I currently have, Picture below. What I am missing from my setup is the ratchet. I have the PA28 mounting cage that has the indents for this flap lever; no idea of flap angles. It seems to just bolt to the floor in the PA28. I had to raise the flap lever and cable above the floor to clear the push pull rod for the elevator just below floor. I plan on making a inverted "V" to cover the cable. Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Marty
    flap lever.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

If I were able to redesign the Pacer flap handle mechanism, I would put it overhead. It cuts cable distance and reduces the number of pulleys. And, it would be easier to reach especially when getting rid of the flaps quickly at landing.

Although, your setup looks good with the handle between the seats. The ratchet is attached to the frame on one end and floats as it slides through the flap lever. A pawl is released when pushing the button to lower the flaps. The angle of the flap handle and the ratchet changes, which is why the ratchet is curved. Attaching the ratchet to the floor boards would seem to work although, it might not be as stable and allow slight changes in the flap adjustment.

With adjustment I was able to pick up 7 more degrees of travel in the flap. Also, it is possible to add a third notch in the ratchet.
    Last edited by Stephen; 05-18-2016 at 04:45 AM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about doing overhead flaps but decided against it. I didn't like the idea if the flap handle being down , possibly blocking the door in an emergency. I think in a Super Cub it makes great sense to go with overhead. I also didn't want to go through the design process for overhead; between the seats was the easiest. Looks like I have a Pacer flap handle on the way, thanks Gary. I think if I reinforce the floor at that location I can attach the ratchet pretty easy. Depending on how it fits, I may be able to weld the tab to the existing cross tube. At least now I have a firm plan, I think ......

Thanks,
    Marty57