Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: So You Think You Want To Own a Short Wing Piper? The Pre-Purchase Inspection

Post Thanks / Like

Default So You Think You Want To Own a Short Wing Piper? The Pre-Purchase Inspection

Unless you know how to read release of lean documents, the AOPA or aerospace reports are better as they spell it all out without reading every page of the FAA registration file. The airworthiness file has all the 338s and applications for airworthiness. If there is a “Suspence” file pay close attention to that as it may be indicating that the registration isn’t current.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dgapilot; 05-25-2019 at 07:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: So You Think You Want To Own a Short Wing Piper? The Pre-Purchase Inspection

Steve, I wanted to thank you for this thread.
    I was at the point of making an offer on a shortwing just when you posted this original #1 post.
    It helped me get my ducks in a row, make a more informed decision, and pull the trigger so to speak.
    It is one of the most satisfying choices I have ever made. I have derived a great deal of pleasure owning, maintaining
    and flying my very own old-ish but airworthy plane. And everyone here has a wealth of expertise to offer a new owner - thanks for
    sharing so willingly. It is likely that someone here has experienced & addressed the sqwalks that arise and that is a great comfort.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: So You Think You Want To Own a Short Wing Piper? The Pre-Purchase Inspection

Does anyone on here have an Airworthiness Directive Compliance Record template for Excel?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IDPacer View Post
    Does anyone on here have an Airworthiness Directive Compliance Record template for Excel?
    I use the AD compliance forms that my AD software has. A lot better than an excel spreadsheet. Suggest you talk to your IA and have him provide a comprehensive AD listing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had a Tri-Pacer come in Saturday that had just been acquired in Mississippi and got just south of me when they realized the generator was not charging. Determined the master switch was corroded and not sending power to the voltage regulator. The seat wasn't installed correctly and took a dead blow hammer to get it out where I discovered the fuel line going into the under seat gascolator kinked and leaking. From the puddle by the right wheel on the floor of my hangar I am guessing the seals went out on that brake. I took the new owner (student pilot) and ferry pilot to Wichita Falls to catch a flight home to CA and FL when they didn't want to wait for repairs. I keep seeing more things as I walk around it. I asked if the airplane had been sitting a while and they said it had.
    Corrosion on the master switch
    PXL_20210911_210354106.jpg

PXL_20210911_210052303.jpg

Seat not in the aft track on the right side
    PXL_20210911_205122453.jpg
    Left side was installed correctly
    PXL_20210911_205129257.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely…

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

Did the new owners mention whether a prebuy inspection was done? Logs indicate anything? Cursory annuals?
    For my own information, did the ammeter indicate anything when they were troubleshooting their generator drop out?

p.s. what are those unattached terminal wires in the master switch box?

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like an older old Tri-Pacer, like a 1955 or earlier - bench seat, nasty red interior paint, no relays in the switch box. Very familiar to me with One For Papa, a 55 PA22-150.
    It will be interesting to learn more about this plane and it's new, surely sad, owner.
    To quote the Bard, "I have a bad feeling about this..."

I will say they were lucky to have made it to Steve's shop where they will be treated with integrity, thoroughness, fairness and knowledge.

GG
    Last edited by Glen Geller; 09-17-2021 at 12:22 PM.
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is after I started disconnecting wires. It is an early Tri-Pacer that has an O-320 installed via STC I assume. From what I gather he got a deal and I doubt it had a prepurchase although it has a fresh annual.