Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Bryant's Producer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Steve Bryant's Producer

While in Alaska for the Airmen Show I was fortunate enough to be invited to fly Steve Bryant's Producer. If you are not familiar with the Producer it is a stretched fuselaged Pacer sporting PA14 wings. It started out as a one time STC in the early 60s by Steve's Dad Jake and then in the early 1980s Steve got the STC for multiple use. To say I was impressed was an understatement. This is a large airplane and with two of us I was not expecting the Super Cub type take off by any means. Once in the air the ailerons are super light and effective, reminiscent of the pointed leading edge of the PA12/14 ailerons. I got to do some slow flight and was amazed at the control at very slow speeds. We left Lake Hood and flew across the Cook Inlet to a sand airstrip cut out of some pretty good size trees. Steve did the landing and stopped very short. You can really apply a lot of brakes in this thing the way the CG is. To my surprise Steve opened up the left sea plane door and hopped out and told me to take it around the patch. I was a bit intimidated but poured the coals to here and was off the ground in no time. Flew around and made a slow pass and then came in for a landing. The control at slow speed really amazed me especially having done a lot of short field stuff in a stock winged Pacer on Bushwheels. The sight picture does take some getting use to. The plane is sitting on extended landing gear and 31" Bushwheels and you have to look out the sides but that is easily gotten use to. Steve took us back across the inlet to the Lake Hood gravel strip where we landed on the end of the runway and made the first turn-off. Very impressive. It is obvious in flying and visiting with Steve that he is intimate with this airplane and that it is a tribute to his Dad who he lost several years ago. To say I was impressed with both him and the airplane is an understatement. My wheels are turning already.

Last edited by Steve Pierce; 05-23-2016 at 08:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Steve Bryant's Producer

Thanks for the pics and report Steve. I bet you are already building a Producer in your head.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, the pics aren't working for me. If he ties up outside on lake hood, I think I've seen this plane before. I'm wanting to build a plane one of these days and I'm really torn between a producer and a bearhawk. Your report made the decision tougher! Good thing I have a lot of time to think about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve
    The dark side is right here, come closer, feeeel the force, just a little closer, Feeeeel the force, it wants YOU, Come closer.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think I fixed it. Let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, what engine does he have and do you have an idea on empty weight?
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is a 160 hp Lycoming and the empty weight was in line with a Tri-Pacer from what I remember.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve if it has an STC why is it in Homebuilt Category??
    Looks like a great plane. I owned a PA-12 in late 60s. They are outstsndings planes.

N-number : N1335KAircraft Serial Number : 22BC1
    Aircraft Manufacturer : BRYANT STEPHEN C
    Model : PRODUCER
    Engine Manufacturer : LYCOMING
    Model : 0-320 SERIES
    Aircraft Year : 1982
    Owner Name : BRYANT STEPHEN
    Owner Address : 4802 MALIBU RD
    ANCHORAGE, AK, 995173274
    Type of Owner : Individual
    Registration Date : 13-Nov-1990
    Airworthiness Certificate Type : Experimental
    Approved Operations : Amateur Built

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This particular airplane was built prior to the STC used to get the actual muilti use STC. I think the are currently 14 modified Pacer/Tri-Pacers with the STC'd modification.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve. I always thought the PA-14 would make a great all around plane especially with an O-320 or O-360. My PA-12 could carry 850# for 6hrs. at 100-115 on 100HP not many planes at that time period could do that. Hell they still can't.
    I went to about 12,000' over Chicago on the way back from Hales Corners and Rockford in 1969. Did a lot of cross countries with wife and 6-1yr old Son, with a sectional with a black line on it. You also get pretty good at dead reckoning.
    Jim