Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PA-22 onboard fire

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-22 onboard fire

I have seen a burn test of oratex. It does not appear to burn much but goes out [self extinguish] Too bad it isn't certified - looks easier and less chemical in exposure, application.

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by Old3pacer View Post
    I have seen a burn test of oratex. It does not appear to burn much but goes out [self extinguish] Too bad it isn't certified - looks easier and less chemical in exposure, application.
    I heard it got approved with a STC. But I also heard it's only certified for gliders. Not totally sure accept the fact it got some type of approve by the FAA. My issue with Oratex is the people that are behind it. Got the attutude there fabric is the best and almighty. Went so far to try tell me how his Poly covered airplane looks like **** after 8 years. (Hell my Tripacer was covered in 06 totally outside plane and looks still good. (Odd ring worm or pant cracking- because I push the tail down in the winter to turn the plane around) So if fabric looks like **** after 8 years it wasn't done right. I also got the story in how toxic all the other processes are. Smoking is toxic also and I know of people that have lived till 90. Personally I get turned off from any company that knocks there competition down.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not researched Oratex in detail, but it's a matter of time before there is another competitor with a better product. I'm using Stewart's Sytem with great results, and I especially like the fact my daughters have helped with the tapes, and I'm not worried about blowing up the shop from fumes.

piperrocks2013

Abjure what makes Oratex good is the fact, all the doping and painting is done for you. You just cover, stitch (where needed) and tape. Now if you are into custom paint schemes or colours, this is not the product for you. But for most of the White, Red, Yellow Birds the idea is to save time recovering and not have the chance of ring worming, paint cracking, etc. But as I mentioned above it is twice the price and it appears from what I have seen Rocket play with it and others and myself with there sample piece its not as forgiving as other processess (Could be wrong here). Also the fact including to Steve its has RC Airplane look. From the photos I can't tell but the covering itself does remind me of a table cloth. When decide to take on airplane for full recovery going to use Poly System or Stewart. Main reason mistakes are a lot cheaper, as I learned there is more then one to skin a cat with the above processes, there is Great Support from the companies, videos, and people on hand like here.

Jared

Post Thanks / Like

"When you are running down a competitors products you are wasting an opportunity to talk about your own!"

One of the first things my first sales manager taught me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Curly View Post
    "When you are running down a competitors products you are wasting an opportunity to talk about your own!"

One of the first things my first sales manager taught me!
    I like that John. I was turned off pretty quick by Lars and his boss at Oratex as well. They got very agitated with my questions about their product. I don't like the looks. Reminds me of a model airplane. Back on topic, Polyfiber, AirTec, Superflite and Stewarts will not support combustion.