Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Brakes STC for the TriPacer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default New Brakes STC for the TriPacer

Been helping a wheel and brake manufacturer with data for new disc brakes for the TriPacer. Sent them an axle to get the torque plate correct. Most of the parts are TSO'd so we will be doing an install shortly to determine the proper size pistons to use with the stock brake cylinder, then an installation conformity and finally a flight test (actually a ground test). Will be a complete kit with all parts needed to replace your existing brakes in one box. One of the interesting things about the TriPacer wheel is it has a 3 5/8" bearing spacing vs. the standard 3 1/4" of everything else. This was rectified in a very creative way that I will reveal at a later date. Will post more information and pictures after the test parts arrive.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Brakes STC for the TriPacer

That sounds great. I just had to replace the shoes on one of my brakes. I have a toe break set up but not the disk breaks. By the way, If I increase the size of the tires to 8 or 8:50 do I need new wheels too and how does that affect the breaks?

Post Thanks / Like

That would be nice for a lot of PA 22 owners. I hope it's priced at a price tripacer owners will find affordable.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, that sounds like a dream! I'd love to see some pics, too! Walt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danP View Post
    That sounds great. I just had to replace the shoes on one of my brakes. I have a toe break set up but not the disk breaks. By the way, If I increase the size of the tires to 8 or 8:50 do I need new wheels too and how does that affect the breaks?
    Your wheel size will stay the same...6" wheels.I have heard of cases where the sidewalls of the larger tire can impinge on the brake housing in some cases. So, there are some details that need to be addressed.
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pa20 View Post
    Your wheel size will stay the same...6" wheels.I have heard of cases where the sidewalls of the larger tire can impinge on the brake housing in some cases. So, there are some details that need to be addressed.
    This is what I ran into on my 22/20. 8.00x6 aren't approved for my wheels because they will rub the calipers unless you really over inflate them (like 50 psi). Univair memo 1675 has their approved combos.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

JIm,
    we have been placing a spacer between the wheel half and the brake disc to prevent the brake from rubbing on the tire. The ring off a worn brake disc works but I have had to make them up to .100" al to get the required clearance. This might just be Alaska brake and tire 101. Never spoke to clarence for clearance though

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Rocket, it is Alaska brake 101. I was debating on doing that and still might some day. Right now I'm going to leave it as is and throw some 7.00X6 retreads on it, was going to really go cheap and do 6.00X6 but they were the same price! Here in Missouri if you land on a gravel bar in a river they'd probably arrest you so I'll be on grass and asphalt runways for the foreseeable future.

(I'm a cheap airline pilot plus if retreads work on an 875,000 lb. 18 wheel airliner why won't they work on a Pacer?)

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Hann; 03-18-2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Expound on the topic
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

JIM,

The best tires, and the ones I use, are those that have had all their tread worn off. The 8:50 nose tire on my spam can was found laying in the middle of a hanger trash pile and had been well worn on a 135 Cherokee six while the mains, 8:50x10 on bushwheel 10x10 wheels, had had its tread scrubbed off nicely under a Beaver. Nice and supple at 15 psi. Same for the 8:00 on the Batplane nose.

Cant beat the price ether as I too am cheap, well not really but I like to burn $8.50 a gallon blue gas or $6.70 a gallon mogas; lots of it!

Rocket
    Last edited by rocket; 03-18-2014 at 07:43 PM. Reason: damn auto correct!

Post Thanks / Like

It has been about a year since the original post about Disk Brake STC for Tri-Pacer.
    Any news to share?

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"