Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 44 of 57 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Platinum Pacer Wings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Platinum Pacer Wings

First coat of primer...color sanding tomorrow....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Installing AveoFlash LP Ultra wing tip lights on Crosswind STOL wing tips. The original Grimes lights fit perfectly...the AveoFlash do not...made adapters from 1/4” plate and coped to fit the contour of the wing tip mount. Little counter bores, little machining and grinding to fit. May take off some more metal to lighten the adapters.....

Post Thanks / Like

Reminds me of an egg timer I have, you throw it in with your boiled eggs and the color inside shrinks down to let you know how done it is. But this is a lot cooler!

Post Thanks / Like

Fitting wing tip....the top side of the right wing tip wouldn’t lay flat...little shrinking along the edge to pull it down...little file work to knock off the high spots. Thought about leaving the tool marks...but the left wing laid nice and flat...gotta be concentric...slathered on a thin layer aviation type bondo to create a smooth appearance which should hide a majority of the tool marks...should be cured by now...heading out to the shop...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Platinum Pacer Wings

Making winglets to hide the differing contours of the leading edge cuff and wing tip... using forty thousandths 2024 and .032” 5052H32 to make the flange. The winglets supplied with the kit were/are supposed to be installed with little pieces of aluminum angle attached to the wing tip, but didn’t hide the gaps between the wing tip and wing aft of the leading edge, so I made mine a little longer....The parts supplied with the kit may have looked better, butt....for some damn reason I wanted them attached to the wing? Need to order some of that gookumpucky they use on go fast aircraft to blend the sheet metal overlap....then I can hide-ish the flange that doesn’t match the wing tip contour...may just make another.....

Last edited by mmoyle; 05-12-2021 at 07:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What is the aluminum on top of the tip?

Post Thanks / Like

Thats gonna be one tricked up plane. Did I miss some splaining about your leading edge? Looks like your putting your underwear over your pants, ha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    What is the aluminum on top of the tip?
    The bottom side of the wing tip is fiberglass, the top side is aluminum....or are you referring to something else?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    Thats gonna be one tricked up plane. Did I miss some splaining about your leading edge? Looks like your putting your underwear over your pants, ha.
    Wing must be covered first before installing the leading edge. I was going to paint the wing through top coat, then install the leading edge... but...it’s been three weeks or so waiting on another gallon of primer paint..so decided to put the cover over the underwear...but I wanted to install it over the pants..

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn’t happy with the flange on the last winglet...made another with the flange contoured to give an even arc around the wing tip.