Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 35 of 57 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Platinum Pacer Wings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Platinum Pacer Wings

I haven’t spoke with Eddie for a month or so. He’s waiting on his DER. On the subject do do I think he’ll get the STC? Feels like he will...but then again I’ve offered to throw money at the DER to get the job done....so I guess...the DER will get around to it...someday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    I haven’t spoke with Eddie for a month or so. He’s waiting on his DER. On the subject do do I think he’ll get the STC? Feels like he will...but then again I’ve offered to throw money at the DER to get the job done....so I guess...the DER will get around to it...someday.

Having spend a lot of time on my STC for this modification, the DER was not be cheap, even when I was doing most of the work. The testing procedures that the FAA engineers were talking about would have added quite a bit more to the cost to my project. After all these expenses a financial return was not very promising. But, making money was not my goal. The complications and costs caused me to finally give up. Now I'm happily flying my Bushmaster.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post

I was hoping to get back up to AK this summer and drop in on Eddie. But, the fires may not make the trip worth while. I've had too much experience flying through smoke last summer in WA.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Having spend a lot of time on my STC for this modification, the DER was not be cheap, even when I was doing most of the work. The testing procedures that the FAA engineers were talking about would have added quite a bit more to the cost to my project. After all these expenses a financial return was not very promising. But, making money was not my goal. The complications and costs caused me to finally give up. Now I'm happily flying my Bushmaster.
    Same thing goes for trying to get the stick control STC approved.... Too much money to get approved for not a lot of return so I shelved it...

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Default Platinum Pacer Wings

So, I’ve got this set of 12 rib wings with what looks like polyfiber envelope cover through primer. No log book information or tail number to get copies. The first wing...One bent rib with the lacing loose there. One spar repair. Leading edge metal were attached to the spar...few screws missing and more than a few not screwed in completely with a gap of a 1/16th or so between the spar and leading edge metal. Isn’t there supposed to be tape between the ribs and fabric? Thin rubber tape on the fuel tank straps. Inspection wing grommets with blisters....water drain washers glued on...no tape over the washers...the other odd thing is the lacing wrapped around this and that...some other issues were the fabric is touching the structure and no tape over the area...wing bows not copped to fit flush...
    I’m hesitant to even ask my A/I to sign off on what is really an egg with a few blemishes on the outside when the white and yoke might be rotten...
    I have everything here to recover the wings using Superflight system 7.. lots of parts. But I don’t want to rob a single piece off the wings I’ve built to Trimmers specifications. According to Eddie...his DER is almost done with his work..
    I have the Crosswind STOL STC and all the parts, Dakota Cub tanks with Ei fuel senders, heated pitot tube and mount fabricated... there are differences between the wings I’ve built and these undocumented wings. if I were to remove all the parts and transfer or use on these wings. The Ailerons don’t get moved out...rear spar is not reenforced. Wing gets extended to the same length as the ones I’ve built, leading edge metal attached to the front spar all the way to the wing tip...and these are 12 rib...not 13 rib...
    I’m thinking these 12 rib wings should remain stock...but where do you draw the crapsmanship line?

Last edited by mmoyle; 04-17-2020 at 12:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Right wing fabric removed..found the screws that were missing or not bottomed out were all accessible without tearing off the fabric, the remainder of the fasteners were all good. Leading edge wasn’t pulled tight at the fuel tank bay. New control cables...the front spar has a reinforcement on both sides..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Platinum Pacer Wings

Left wing a bit worse. Most of the leading edge skins out to the landing light were number six screws...most were loose or stripped. Wrong screws fastening the leading edge to the front spar..other chit...like the reinforcement strip on the leading edge outboard of the lights...left wing has it...right wing doesn’t. It also has the same front spar reinforcement. And what is the correct felt...the stuff I pulled of looks like polyester batting. Also is it supposed to be on the top side Of the tank bay false spar? It also looks like the fabric was glued to the ribs after shrinking...

Last edited by mmoyle; 04-17-2020 at 07:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That spar splice is not legal from everything I have seen. Looks like another snowball.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s not a splice...someone’s idea of reinforcing the front spar. Trimmer’s engineers say the rear spar is the weak point if the aileron is moved out. No requirement to strengthen the front spar so on his wing...so?.?? What duh hay? When I found that reinforcement...I felt the fabric had to come off...I thought it was a spice too! I do have one 12 rib front spar and a full length front spar extrusion...if I have to replace those spars? Do I?...gaud this sucks! All that time and money...

Post Thanks / Like

I’m looking for some advice... trying to identify if the 0.050” plate outboard of the wing strut attachment can be documented and approved.
    Here’s my interpretation:

AC43.13-1B
    4-50-b A repair must be equal to the original structure, but not stronger or stiffer which will cause stress concentration or alter the resonance frequency of the structure. I don’t believe this applies.
    Rivets are 3/16” AN 442 Flat head MS20470 the alloy is 2117T. Rivet diameter is nearly 3X the spar web thickness. Rivet spacing does not conform to AC43.13 for splice repair. The edge distance is okay. This is not a splice repair and the spars do not appear to have any damage to the spar web which indicates the rivet spacing greater than 6X the rivet diameter is not an issue.
    The plate thickness is 0.050” of an unknown aluminum alloy.

Thoughts?