Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Platinum Pacer Wings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Platinum Pacer Wings

I bet you never get bored, says someone with an office bound job!
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

I miss my office job....didn't need a massage or a fist full of ibuprofen at the end of the day.. I don't miss all the viral bugs patients shared with me...now trauma and emergencies only...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday's Ain't Pacer progress... Finished the schools basket ball court. Well all most...bit of surface grinding at the cold joints. Poured the remaining 20 yards yesterday...4 five yard batches....so much fun...excavator to swing one yard bags of gravel into the mixer truck feed chute...then one big bag of Portland cement...12' vibratory screed....then hand trowel....finished at 10:30 last night...

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, I can think of a bunch of cities down here that would have money in the bank instead of being broke if they had a hard working mayor, like you. Still I suspect Platinum's bank account isn't fat.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, fat bank forma city from 60?
    Jack the tax up to say some plast likt Taxus or Masataxus to something like $7000/yr for a 1200 sq ft ant total is====
    $400k
    Take cop shop fee of 2 ppl and public water & sewer of 2 ppl and your already in red ink before you get to admin staff.
    And i bet taxes are not close to $7k per house.
    Now try and run a school of say 3 ppl for k-12

Post Thanks / Like

Zero local tax. Can't tax private property in unincorporated areas of Alaska unless a first class city....as it is there are only 4 private property owners. The local native corporation owns the land everywhere else..
    Money....when I was elected.....by write in...didn't run. The city was in the hole $274k. They didn't bill for electrify. Spent the revenue sharing money from the state on whacky Tabasco....I shoot you not! I was in the hole $48k... Keeping the lights on...my right to do so under the terms of the lease agreement and as the utility owner. We're in the green...unfortunately the city's credit is horrible... To do these projects...buy generators, concrete and stuff...I finance the projects....city pays me back..

Post Thanks / Like

I just Googled for Platinum AK. It say it has a population of 64 in 2013.
    So not many neighbours then??
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

Not many...the village of Goodnews is 12-1/2 miles east across Goodnews Bay. We do see a population spike during the summer months. When the fish plant was open, Kink Construction and the mine are operating the population was north of 400.

Post Thanks / Like

So what is the source of $ to run the town?
    And how does the town do water, sewer, garbage, or does it? If not how do you?
    Last edited by 51-pa22; 10-30-2016 at 03:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Installed pay as you go Ampy pre-pay electric meters four years ago. The Ampy meters created a mechanism to collect 100% of water and sewer fee of $30 per month for indoor plumbing..$15 no indoor plumbing. Diesel cost is $0.65 per kWH....this year. Rate is $0.95 per kWh. Other revenue streams are shared fisheries business tax and state revenue sharing. Shared fisheries tax was under $2k this year...last year was in the $70k range. Revenue sharing varies each year...usually under $100k. For two years now the city has been in the black....the city is actually doing something... Repairing the distribution system correctly...wait..I did use rope a few days ago to rehang a power line.. Replaced all the main distribution line from the power plant north this summer.. Poor continuity, corrosion and many splices. New street lights....joint venture with Tribal and the school on the basketball court. And built a new city office.....it's that little blue building just to right of the basket ball court. Story in that little building .... was a shack.. Now sports tape and textured sheet rock, real windows, laminate flooring and trim.. First class compared to the old city office space.