Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Teeing Into Flared Fittings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Teeing Into Flared Fittings

I'm working on installing an oil pressure sensor on the Twin Comanche for an engine monitor upgrade, and trying to figure out the best way to tee into the oil pressure line for a sensor mounted in the engine compartment. I have Aeroquip hose with 491-3 flared type fittings on the hose between the accessory housing and the firewall fitting. The sensor I'm looking to install has a male 1/4" NPT. I can't seem to find a good fitting to make this work without taking up too much space and having to shorten the hose. The restrictor is built into the 90 degree fitting in the accessory housing, so I have to tee in behind that, and there's no room at the engine end of the hose for anything, let alone a wrench to get the hose installed. So basically I need something with a female and male flare on the straight part of the tee, and a female 1/4" pipe thread on the side of the tee.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Teeing Into Flared Fittings

Assuming that your engine monitor system is redundant to the primary oil pressure indication, why don't you just put the oil pressure switch on the 1/4" NPT thread fitting on the main oil galley fitting on the front of the lycoming engine and just remove the need for a " t" fitting altogether?

Post Thanks / Like

The installation manual states that it should NOT be screwed directly into an oil galley as was the oil temperature probe. (Right front oil valley plug which is documented as Lycoming's pick for an alternative location). I can only assume, but I'd take it to be either because of the lack of a restrictor in this manner, and/or too much vibration directly on the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Every one I have seen had a line attached to the galley Todd referenced and the transducer attached to that. Which unit did you end up getting?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't remember those other ports being listed by Lycoming as alternate pressure-sensing ports, but only for temperature. Wouldn't the pressure be lower up there after it has a chance to drop out of that galley on the way to the front? I'd also have to come up with another restrictor in the new line that would be acceptable. Wick's had a fitting that would work, but I'm not comfortable with aluminum. I can't seem to find one in steel anywhere. It's a CC-303 which is a female 37° flare on both ends.
    We ended up installing the Insight G4 Twin. Have been happy with it so far after only a few flight hours and getting the few bugs worked out. The amazing thing is that both engines had the CHT probe on the coldest cylinder. The right engine #3 is almost 100°F colder than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you T in aft of the firewall in the nacelle?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine installed a low pressure switch in the oil pressure line aft of the firewall. Not sure what kind of "T" fitting he used
    but it apparently was not a problem. The pressure switch illuminates a warning light if pressure is below a given value (per the switch spec)
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Teeing Into Flared Fittings

I've thought about teeing in behind the firewall, and there is definitely room back there so I could easily make that work. I just wasn't sure it was a good idea to have an opportunity for a leak back there where you don't inspect as often, and where a fire would be right on top of the fuel cells. Although there is probably a lot less vibration and harsh environment back there. Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I don't like the idea of a preventable fire.

Post Thanks / Like

Zack, off topic but preventable fires.
    My line from the fuel distribution "spider" that goes to the Fuel Flow gage
    was a solid line that went thru the baffle above the oil cooler using a
    bulkhead fitting. It broke one day and the indication was EGT rising
    and indicated FF decreasing. The line cracked and sprayed fuel on the
    engine side of the baffling.

Lucky no fire. Replaced that line with steel braided hose so that will
    not be a problem again.

FWIW