Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Anybody converted their Panel to full EFIS yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone put glass instruments in their pacer / tri-pacer?

Pacer42Z panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I merged your thread with another on the subject.
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 08-08-2019 at 06:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Anybody converted their Panel to full EFIS yet?

Sometimes we need to look back at the historical perspective on how things became certified. Under Part 21, any part or component installed in a certified aircraft needs to come from a source identified or approved in 21.9 (used to be 21.303). In years past, with regards to instruments it was TSO, TC, or STC/ PMA. If we think back to the 60’s and 70’s, Cessna and Piper Built lots of airplanes with non TSO avionics, but all those King, Collins, ARC, and Narco radios were installed from the factory under the TC for “someone’s” TC. Given they were approved on a TC, that became the approval basis to install them on other make model airplanes. Fast forward to today. We have a market with a plethora of non certified avionics that have never been part of a TC. There is no certification history related to these boxes. All of them contain software of unknown origin and unknown development pedigree. The manufacturers don’t provide the basic System Safety data and Software Safety data that would be required for certification. They don’t provide any environmental data that would be required for certification. They don’t provide any EMI or HIRF data that would be required for certification.

All that said, FAA has provided a new method to allow otherwise uncertified boxes in certified aircraft. They established a “non-required safety enhancing equipment” policy that allows otherwise non certified products to be installed. The manufacturer needs to apply and show they have a quality system that the items are produced under, and they have to show the item won’t introduce hazards to the aircraft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seibert View Post
    Pacer42Z panel.
    looks great! Are you happy so far? Would you consider getting a second one and ditching the vacuum pump?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Balla View Post
    Just curious if anyone here has switched out any of their gauges for an Aspen Evolution, G5’s or anything similar? Seems like a nice upgrade and that all the fancy new cubs have them so why not the old short wings too?

pics are welcomed!
    If this new MOSIS special airwortiness doesnt take til 3020 to pass and becomes an option for us, allowing our personal planes to be eqiupped with Vans Rv approved avionics, I will be looking into something like this full glass suite 6.5" display for $3,800. http://grtavionics.com/home/efis-sys...rizon-hx-efis/

Last edited by SMO22; 08-11-2019 at 08:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SMO22 View Post
    If this new MOSIS special airwortiness doesnt take til 3020 to pass and becomes an option for us, allowing our personal planes to be eqiupped with Vans Rv approved avionics, I will be looking into something like this full glass suite 6.5" display for $3,800. http://grtavionics.com/home/efis-sys...rizon-hx-efis/

im not familiar with this proposed rule change but it sounds awesome! Would we be able to install it with just an A&P sign off or would it still need to go to the avionics shop?

Post Thanks / Like

Guess it's MOSAIC Modernization of Special Airworthiness Certificates https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...tor-at-Oshkosh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SMO22 View Post
    Guess it's MOSAIC Modernization of Special Airworthiness Certificates https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...tor-at-Oshkosh
    They haven’t even started the rulemaking process yet, still at least 5 years out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Balla View Post
    looks great! Are you happy so far? Would you consider getting a second one and ditching the vacuum pump?
    I am very happy with it. Here is the latest upgrade to a 430W GPS linked to the Aspen and ADS-B out transponder. The Aspen made flying IFR without an autopilot much easier. Some footage of flying IFR on my U-Tube channel when coming back from Sun & Fun this year https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwQ...ihpE0zmvmbUGgg . I will add a Garmin G5 when the vacuum pump goes out.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Attached Images Attached Images