Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pa 22 fire number 2

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pa 22 fire number 2

I don't want to subside the panacea to buy a gascolator, but Gilbert and Zac bring up a point very evident in the first picture, the fire is well engulfed inside the cockpit. If you look real close, the area in and around the lower left front cowling and back as far as the strut, it shows considerable area which is below the floorboard level with no evidence of fire at all. There is more evidence of a well fed fire or a source being in the vicinity of the fuel selector. My conjecture stays with there being a problem with all the fuel lines and associated fittings and selectors that are on the inside of the plane. Secondarily, I have two planes of early 50's vintage and I have never had any trouble with the gascolators. I keep a soft gasket in them and make sure the bowl is centered and add safety wire to keep the arms from bowing out and all stays well.

Post Thanks / Like

When I pulled apart our PA22 before starting the rebuild, I found the fuel pipe ahead of the left pedal was chafed almost all the way through--looked a bit like a hacksaw cut. Just the slightest 'bending pressure' on the pipe during removal caused it to split apart in my hands. The Pacer conversion moved everything back, and chafing is no longer an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have seen the Johnson bar brake cable worn almost all the way through the fuel line that runs across the back of the instrument panel.

Had a cockpit fire in a PA14 we were pulling down the taxiway when a previous mechanic and redone the battery box and not reinstalled the wood block that keeps the battery terminal from contacting the battery box lid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I have seen the Johnson bar brake cable worn almost all the way through the fuel line that runs across the back of the instrument panel.

Had a cockpit fire in a PA14 we were pulling down the taxiway when a previous mechanic and redone the battery box and not reinstalled the wood block that keeps the battery terminal from contacting the battery box lid.
    I would STRONGLY URGE everyone reading these posts to spread the word to other PA22 owners that before your next PA 22 flight to slide your head under the panel and identify the cable from the Johnson Bar brake actuator and look at it and follow it's path as it travels left and to the floorboard and turns back to the brake master cylinder to assure there is no chafing of it and the fuel line going to the fuel selector. (see the picture in my previous post) It is all pretty visible and will take you at most 10 minutes to see if there is any chafing of the fuel line by that cable. If you find chafing, obviously don't fly again until it gets fixed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AKJurnee View Post
    Isn't there an AD for modifying the firewall to prevent oil and fuel buildup for potential for fire? Not saying that this was the cause but I'd be really interested on how this in-flight fire started. So we all can take precaution.

Federal Register Information

Header Information
    DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

Federal Aviation Administration

14 CFR Part 39

AD 57-22-01

Airworthiness Directives; Piper All Models PA-16, PA-20 and PA-22 Aircraft
    PDF Copy (If Available):

Preamble Information
    AGENCY: Federal Aviation Administration, DOT

Regulatory Information

57-22-01 PIPER: Applies to All Models PA-16, PA-20 and PA-22 Aircraft.

Compliance required as indicated.

To preclude the possibility of inflight fires the following inspection and rework is necessary to eliminate combustible material and possible ignition sources from the area aft of the firewall, underneath the forward cabin floor. Access to this section may be gained by removing the metal panels or opening the fuselage side cowl panels rearward of the firewall underneath the aircraft as shown in Piper Service Bulletin No. 161a. The relative difficulty in gaining access to this area has probably contributed to poor maintenance.

1. On all PA-16, PA-20, and PA-22 aircraft, Serial Numbers 22-1 through 22-2699, the following inspection and rework is necessary prior to December 15, 1957. Remove and discard any sound-proofing material contaminated with engine or hydraulic oil. Where the plastic septum has separated from the fiberglass or shows signs of drying or cracking it should be removed in its entirety from the affected blanket. Uncontaminated fiberglass, from which the plastic septum has been removed, may be continued in service. Inspect electrical wiring for chafing of the insulation and replace any found in an unsatisfactory condition. Check for a reasonable clearance between hydraulic lines, electrical wires, control cables and fuel lines and rework as necessary. The sealing of the firewall on all affected aircraft must be inspected as described in Piper Service Bulletin No. 161a and when found deficient must be resealed in accordance with the manufacturer's service bulletin or accepted aeronautical practices.

2. On PA-22 aircraft Serial Numbers 22-2700 to 22-6194 inclusive, the procedure outlined in 1 should be followed within the next 100 hours of operation.

3. Periodic inspection should be made of the exhaust system in accordance with Piper Service Bulletin No. 161a pertaining to inspection of the exhaust stack gaskets, exhaust stacks, muffler assembly, and muffler tailpipe.

4. The sealing of the firewall on all PA-16, PA-20 and PA-22 aircraft must be inspected at 100-hour intervals in accordance with Piper Service Bulletin No. 161a. If found deficient, it must be resealed in accordance with the manufacturer's service bulletin or accepted aeronautical practices.

5. The 100-hour inspection requirement on all Model Piper PA-22 aircraft, Serial Numbers 22-1 to 22-6194 inclusive, can be eliminated if Piper Kit, P/N 754237 or equivalent, is installed.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not diminishing the AD, as it can also be a contributor, however to make an important point of clarification, the AD states "necessary to eliminate combustible material and possible ignition sources from the area aft of the firewall, underneath the forward cabin floor". The chafing of the cable and the fuel line previously discussed is NOT in the area quoted in the AD. The fuel line chafing is above the floor and involves no panel removal to find it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Landreth View Post
    I am not diminishing the AD, as it can also be a contributor, however to make an important point of clarification, the AD states "necessary to eliminate combustible material and possible ignition sources from the area aft of the firewall, underneath the forward cabin floor". The chafing of the cable and the fuel line previously discussed is NOT in the area quoted in the AD. The fuel line chafing is above the floor and involves no panel removal to find it.
    True, but in my airplane fuel leaking at the point you mention would end up in the area the AD addresses.
    Any source of combustible material and fuel leaks is a cause for concern for me.
    For that reason there is nothing under my floor boards but aluminum and brake lines.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 01-31-2017 at 12:13 PM.

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    True, but in my airplane fuel leaking at the point you mention would end up in the area the AD addresses.
    Any source of combustible material and fuel leaks is a cause for concern for me.
    For that reason there is nothing under my floor boards but aluminum and brake lines.
    Why both my planes have new aluminum floorboards. I got a rid of a lot of insulation that was soaking wet with old oil and God knows what else. Very clean underneath. I still think the gascolator can be a serious Culpert if not Maintained properly. I have to agree now just go with the Steve's Gascolator and be done with it
    Last edited by piperrocks2013; 01-31-2017 at 03:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you end up with a lot of oil on the belly it can easily creep up thru the gear openings as well.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

With that heat, is the frame strength compromised, or can it be checked for rigging and rebuilt?