Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Changing Landing Light?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Changing Landing Light?

Just talked to Kenny Larsen. He says they make the high output ones and they are better quality and only get to 134 degrees and he felt they should be fine and better to use than the cheaper ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA-16 View Post
    Yes those are really good, plenty bright and don't get too hot. Several of us tried these and agreed two spots worked best vs trap & spot combo.
    While you have most of the lamp mounting stuff out, remove all the parts, clean & paint flat black if needed, and reassemble the aft mounts (where the lamp will mount) with the screws pre-installed from the back, and short nylok nuts or nuts with Loctite, good and tight.
    Now the threaded end is facing forward! Easy to install the lamp, front plate and nylok nuts up front using a nut driver. Far less colorful language involved.
    Of course, with LED lamps you might not have to replace a lamp for ten or twenty years...

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

If replacing with a non PMA led light, how are you logging it? Simply: Replace landing and taxi light with Larson p/n LL0004. Minor alteration. Then have your A&P sign it?
    ​Jan
    1960 PA22-150 "Spud"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Ryd View Post
    If replacing with a non PMA led light, how are you logging it? Simply: Replace landing and taxi light with Larson p/n LL0004. Minor alteration. Then have your A&P sign it?
    I maybe should be thrown in prison for the rest of my life, but I have the tendency to do things to my plane that are good for it, make it safer and better and never write **** in the log book. I tend to use good judgement....ooopps.

maybe I have gotten used to doing that with my home built Thorp.

I have had a Pacer forever and remember the old guys who first were converting and flying them telling me to put a Pawnee tail spring, a Scott 3200 tailwheel and some Cleveland disc brakes on my plane instead of those old crappy drum brakes. When I asked them a question along the vein of yours they looked at me like I was an idiot. Itís safer and better but there was no STC. Was I not going to do it? Well I did and the plane was way more controllable; not a single ground loop since!! 30 years. Ha!

My alternator was blowing itís CB with the high draw of the old incandescent bulb. Now I have more light and my electrical system isnít ****ting itself on final at nightó during a critical phase of flight. I donít care that there isnít anything in my logbook about it. I donít see a better light bulb as a documentable alteration. It is a more than suitable alternative. The regulations have been discussed/debated earlier in this thread. Iím happy and my plane is happy...the world should be happy.