Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bushmaster compared to....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bushmaster compared to....

How do the Bushmasters or any stretched Pacers compare to the Cessna 180/185 or 206 on wheels and floats performance wise? What is cheaper to own and operate? I think I know the answer....😏

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bushmaster compared to....

A CESSNA 180 with a 0470 will usually burn less fuel than a 160 supercub/pacer with a borer prop. The Cessna GPH burn is more but the speed is also much greater. Usually ends up being cheaper to fly a 180/185 on longer trips (one hour or greater). Base price, a good Cessna 180 can be found for 80 grand. The 185 or 206 is up in the 120 grand or higher for a good 206 but now you are carrying 6 people. Fabric planes are a lot easier to fix if you get them dinged so they are good for hard core off runway work. It is very hard to beat a properly equipped 180/185 in all around performance when compared to a bushmaster/stretched pacer. Cost may be more for the Cessna but in the long run you get more performance.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

The Cessna is a heavier plane, the lighter stretched Pacer should feel like the PA14 and be more like flying a Cub. It can get in and out of tight places and should be much cheaper to operate than the Cessna. Both excellent airplanes in my opinion.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Flew the river last night with a C180. I was turning 2400 rpm making a river run probably burning 8.5 GPH and he was burn 7 GPH. In my opinion an O-470 cost more to maintain than an O-320 but it has lots of power.
    20170224_165706.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the bushpilot folks I talk to up here with lots of experience (10,000 - 40,000 hours in small planes) say that if they had to own one plane it would be a 180. That being said, none of them ever flew a bushmaster. I still find it surprising though how many times I get the same answer when I ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ditto with the people I know who have a C180 or a Super Cub or both. Parts are high, way more expensive to maintain than anything Piper.

Post Thanks / Like

Built, owned and flew a 200hp Bushmaster for several years. Loved that plane. Would haul anything you could get in it or on it. Great short rough field plane. Would take it where I wouldn't take a 180. Earley light 180 is the best ever all around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don D View Post
    Built, owned and flew a 200hp Bushmaster for several years. Loved that plane. Would haul anything you could get in it or on it. Great short rough field plane. Would take it where I wouldn't take a 180. Earley light 180 is the best ever all around.
    Just curious, why'd you get rid of it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don D View Post
    Why was the 180 better than the bushmaster?

Post Thanks / Like

IMG_20170626_204633~2.jpg

My Bushmaster when it was newly modified in 2017.

It has an 0-320 putting out around 180 hp with high compression pistons, port and polished, electronic ignition and Sutton exhaust. The prop is 82-41. Empty Weight is 1180 lbs. Cruises at 2450 rpm 105 mph and stall (with new Sullivan tips) at 30 mph. Useful load is 920 lbs. My plane has left pilot door, sticks and 48 gallon tanks but, that's not required for the Bushmaster.

Advantages of Bushmaster compared to a 180. Lower stall, cheaper to maintain, lighter controls, easier to repair or modify, more rugged landing gear for off airport landings.

Disadvantages compared to a 180. Lower cruise speed, tighter cockpit, more difficult entry for pilot, no constant speed prop.
    Last edited by Stephen; 01-11-2019 at 10:43 AM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."