Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good place for an onboard camera

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good place for an onboard camera

I attached a dash cam at the old attachment of the loudspeaker. The result is not as good as I wanted. It depends on the sun, either the cockpit exposition is right or the view through the cochpit window. So I want to move the camera some feet to the front. But where is the best place to attach?
    Just in front of the trimm handle?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Good place for an onboard camera

What are you trying to film: pilot, both front occupants, view straight ahead?
    Clarify what you are trying to accomplish.
    Also a lot of automobile dash cams don't have the frame rate or stabilization qualities of a GoPro or other high quality camera, so shooting thru the prop may be real annoying, and aircraft vibration might be excessive.

Some interesting threads on the Google machine:
    https://aviation.stackexchange.com/q...aft-in-the-usa
    https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP%201369.pdf
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Glen, I tried to film the cockpitavionic and straight ahead. And that doesn´t work. So I try to film only straight ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this on another board and thought it was interesting

http://www.funplacestofly.com/blog.asp?ID=1953

In this flight video, we used new GoPro Hero 5 Action Cameras with image stabilization to see how well they work. We discovered a new effect where the cameras track the horizon from inside fuselage.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NRW-Aviator View Post
    Glen, I tried to film the cockpitavionic and straight ahead. And that doesn´t work. So I try to film only straight ahead.
    What camera system are you using? Images of your mounting scheme?
    Maybe you can post a link to the videos to show what you learned...

GG
    Glen Geller

Post Thanks / Like

I attached a dash cam at the old attachment of the loudspeaker. The result is not as good as I wanted. It depends on the sun, either the cockpit exposition is right or the view through the cochpit window. So I want to move the camera some feet to the front. But where is the best place to attach?
    Just in front of the trimm handle?
    I have a suction cup mount that I've attached to the passenger side windshield. If it is mounted low it gets more vibration than mounted high. But in either location it gets shadows reflected off the glareshield. I have a clamp mount that I've attached to the rear-seat support cross-member. It doesn't see much with both front seats full. I've mounted the camera to the rear wing strut and aimed at the side of the fuselage. On wide-angle view I can see tail to spinner, the landing gear and some of the instrument panel. Allows me to critique my landings and some of my cockpit flow through take-off and landing. I mount it high up on the front strut when I want to do scenic wandering. Any roll movement of the airplane is exacerbated in the resulting video so I've been experimenting with stabilization software (I'm using a GoPro 4 Black so no onboard stabilization). I've tried Microsoft Hyperlapse and am still working with it to refine settings. I'm also working with the stabilization in Wondershare Filmora. Those are both works in progress to make the end video more usable. My strut mount is the Cloudbase Engineering version and I have the polarizing filters for both inside and outside mount to take out the prop artifacts. I've found that using the GoPro remote control is more demanding of the battery than the remote control iPhone App so I use the app for setup and close it down (but don't remove it from memory) once I've started the video.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Well those videos are actually pretty good; I'm not sure what you can do about the brighter outside ~ darker inside issue, but that sure is a beautiful panel and interior!
    If you get a chance could you share a few interior & exterior images, and tell us about flying in your part of Germany?

Best,
    GG
    Glen Geller

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the panel exposure could be changed with a video editing program after the fact. Trying get both at the same time out of the camera might be asking too much.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a couple videos: one outside the other inside from the suction mount.
    https://youtu.be/FRUAx55X0z4
    https://youtu.be/_ScUvjOsuDI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk