Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good place for an onboard camera

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Good place for an onboard camera

Quote Originally Posted by Flyjeep View Post
    First mount attempt. Seems ok.

Attachment 16584
    Do you mind posting a picture of the mount. I like the center "over the shoulder" look.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest problem with shooting looking at both the panel and out the windshield is exposure. Depending on the camera and how you set it up, it will likely set the exposure for one or the other. If focused on the panel, out the window will be over exposed, and focus out the window, the panel will be under exposed. There is simply no good way to do it unless you set the exposure manually to some mid point where you don’t blow out the highlights out the windshield, then bring up the dark of the panel in post processing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    The biggest problem with shooting looking at both the panel and out the windshield is exposure. Depending on the camera and how you set it up, it will likely set the exposure for one or the other. If focused on the panel, out the window will be over exposed, and focus out the window, the panel will be under exposed. There is simply no good way to do it unless you set the exposure manually to some mid point where you don’t blow out the highlights out the windshield, then bring up the dark of the panel in post processing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The hero 7 seems to handle it ok. The pic looks bad but it was inside the hanger. The video while flying was pretty good. This was a grab from my first video . Not shot at full resolution.154B8F48-B4FD-4025-9F7C-BE10117E9451.jpg
    Last edited by Flyjeep; 03-03-2020 at 07:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    Do you mind posting a picture of the mount. I like the center "over the shoulder" look.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    This is the first draft, one block is threaded wood the other has an insert(only need one). You can put the wood piece in without removing the grill. The latest one I cut the ridge back so it goes further forward in the grill and is supported better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Flyjeep; 03-03-2020 at 07:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do you have any concern with that amount of weight pulling down on your headliner?

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grbamford View Post
    Do you have any concern with that amount of weight pulling down on your headliner?

Greg
    Th speaker is supported by the upper fusleage structure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flyjeep View Post
    This is the first draft, one block is threaded wood the other has an insert(only need one). You can put the wood piece in without removing the grill. The latest one I cut the ridge back so it goes further forward in the grill and is supported better.
    That is a nice and clean looking installation. I never thought about the speaker grill. I will do the same for my "in cockpit" shots.

Thanks for the pictures,

Juergen
    pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

I used my IPhone mount with the suction cub and took the suction cub off and mounted the rest of it to the corner of the dome light. I made a U-shaped bracket to support the mount so it doesn't vibrate. Works well.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Attached Images Attached Images