Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: approved generators

Post Thanks / Like

Default approved generators

Hello, I'm trying to find out a list of approved generators for PA22-108 colt
    I currently have the 20 amp delco generator P/N 1101899 and wondering if the 35 amp delco P/N 1101900 is approved for the colt.

my 20 amp generator is getting weak and probably needs an overhaul, however I have a 35 amp generator from a Comanche that only has a few hundred hours just sitting on a shelf.

Mine has the O-290D engine installed per wag aero STC

Thanks

Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: approved generators

I have never seen a generator get weak, usually work or don't. The 20 amp version is all I have seen approved on the airframe but Lycoming publishes what is approved on the engine which ould be the basis for a field approval.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

I was also curious about "getting weak" and wonder how you measure or define that. Observations of the ammeter, I imagine.
    Battery not charging same as before? Battery aging/overheating/low on electrolyte?
    Starter is slower?
    Lights and other electrical accessories driving the ammeter deeper into the (-) than previously?
    I would look at the electrical connections at the battery, generator, high load accessories (landing lights, radios, etc) and the battery and chassis grounds.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Last year we finally figured out why my generator passed all the tests we knew about, running like a motor, putting out voltage etc. It wasn't charging the battery though, barely bumped the voltage guage with RPMs. Finally took the thing to an old time electrical service place that still worked on generators. Asked if it was off an airplane as he pushed it back to my side of the counter. As I slowly slid it back across to him I mentioned how hard it was to find people that knew generators, and that I didn't need a receipt. He said he'd take a look, walked it back to the bench and it ran like a motor for him too, so he said to leave it and he'd take another look. Called me back the next day and said it worked now. He said the brush tension was weak and it was only putting out 10 amps. Works great now, 20 bucks well spent. Part of the earlier shotgun trouble shooting replaced the voltage regulator with a Zeftronics unit, that also works well with a proper input to play with.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, that lights up an old memory - no pun intended. I recall rebuilding a couple generators - a '61 Willy's jeep, etc. and spring tension on brushes was critical to good output, but too much spring and you'd mow through a set of brushes and might damage the commutator, too. I have a '56 PA22 with original rebuilt generator (20 amp?) and it too struggles a bit at night with all the lights on after touchdown and RPM down around 1000 - especially if I'm using the radio. At next opportunity I'd like to put new brushes AND springs in mine. Does anyone know a good source/supplier for stock standard brushes and springs for these generators? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Where is a good source to have 20A generator overhauled to good as new, if that’s possible?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MWflyer View Post
    Where is a good source to have 20A generator overhauled to good as new, if that’s possible?
    AS lists overhauled generators. I have no experience with them
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...BoCPCwQAvD_BwE

Post Thanks / Like

If there is a good auto generator overhaul shop local, use them and your A&P. The shop can overhaul it under the A&Ps supervision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Aero tech of Louisville. http://www.aerotechlou.com/generators.shtml

Spruce charges a 250.00 core. Which is credited after u return it. Just send it to Aerotech for overhaul. Never heard of Falcon who does the spruce generators.
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 12-19-2018 at 04:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Its too bad those Denso alternators don't work in airplanes