Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Directional Gyro and AH "upgrade"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Directional Gyro and AH "upgrade"

I've been contemplating panel and instrument upgrades since I bought my PA22-150 a year ago. The original massive-huge "AN-type" DG and AH gauges are still working, but having to do some panel rework on the radios in the last week necessitated wiring reroute and new shear panels for the radios themselves, next thing you know I need more room and all the gauges on the left side - except the Airspeed and clock are now sitting on the bench. I want to change out the DG for a bit newer one and go to an electronic portable AH so will add a Dynon D2 Pocket Panel over the big hole. If it works well, the original DG and AH will become wall art. I bought an Edo-Aire G502A DG on ebay, no paperwork, just the word of the seller that it worked when removed...hope that's true. The G502 A has an additional autopilot heading bug knob. It looks fine as I poke at it and turn the knobs...Hoping it can be used when Brittain finally calls me to install the autopilot I've been on the wait list for almost a year now. Doesn't look like the Trig AP will happen for our shortwings anytime soon. I want to install the G502-A in place of my original DG now, and see how well it works. One of the three ports on the back requires filtered air. What kind of filter should I install? Comments always welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Directional Gyro and AH "upgrade"

Most modern vacuum systems have a vacuum filter like this.

Your airplane probably has a smal screen on the splitter on the firewall.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve. Since you were away I did some searching and found the same thing. Should be here in a day or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I’d post an additional question on the same topic. Like the previous poster, my airplane is a 1959 model year Pa-22/150. My old DG has become nonfunctional, I’ve purchased a new RC Allen DG to replace it with, but unlike the old DG, it requires a filtered air source. This gauge is the TSO approved for certified aircraft, but do I need a STC for the update, and how about the filtered air source? Are there any mounting brackets for the filter?
    -Alana

Post Thanks / Like

It's a minor alteration, attaching screw goes through firewall, real simple. I got a thread started in the modification section for my colt. Will set up the six pack with modern DG/AI (spacing @ 3.75 centers and .50 between holes on the 3 1/8 instruments to ease the double G5's install when I win the lottery) chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01112-10_09.pdf
    Last edited by at7615; 07-07-2019 at 05:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by at7615 View Post
    It's a minor alteration, attaching screw goes through firewall, real simple. I got a thread started in the modification section for my colt. chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01112-10_09.pdf
    Could you please edit the web address, it seems corrupted and goes 404.
    Thanks,
    GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, it's messed up Glen, I use start page with Brave browser and punch in Garmin G-5 install manual and it pulls right up!